08 Dodge land speed effort.

Beautiful. Although I predict your 12v rods failing if you make the power it looks like your capable of.

Lavon

Lavon, I had the same thoughts, but decided on leaving the bad thoughts out of the thread. Oh well, I will hope for the best?

You guys are right the rods are marginal for what this motor might put out.The billet rods were out of my financial reach for this year,fingers crossed they will hold for this season,I'll be able to get the billets next year.One thing with the salt if too much throttle is being applied in one go the tires just spin.

Lavon, I had the same thoughts, but decided on leaving the bad thoughts out of the thread. Oh well, I will hope for the best?

For egt control I picked up one the Scheid diesel water injection systems,they are a 500-600 psi system.
An ice water intercooler is in the plans for next year.

Last edited:
Beautiful. Although I predict your 12v rods failing if you make the power it looks like your capable of.

Lavon

Why?

How many RPM will you be planning on? With those rods, just spin it and stay out of the torque. 12v Rods have held up just fine for everyone except the Factory RPM CR crowd.

Chris

Last edited:
Why?

12v Rods have held up just fine for everyone except the Factory RPM CR crowd.
Chris

The last CR engine we pulled only had 800 miles on it since it had been built by previous shop, it had Shot peened polished and balance rods from Haisleys and 3 of the rods were bent and that was all done with a Smarty, single stage 3 pump, S466/87/.9 t4 turbo and flux 4s. Here's what the rods look like.
20120904_163123-2.jpg

This is a 6.7 which is a torque monster and with his turbo setup having capabilities of 100psi I don't see the rods loving life at all unless he's planning on making all his power above 4000rpm. It could stay together but Im guessing the rods will have some distortion if it makes 1000HP.

And I'm by no means discrediting the OP and his build, just sharing my experience/opinion. I understand a budget.

Last edited:
I hope with the 12ver rods they do what is seen above instead of breaking, causing damage. Your build is awesome, hope it all goes well.

The last CR engine we pulled only had 800 miles on it since it had been built by previous shop, it had Shot peened polished and balance rods from Haisleys and 3 of the rods were bent and that was all done with a Smarty, single stage 3 pump, S466/87/.9 t4 turbo and flux 4s. Here's what the rods look like.
20120904_163123-2.jpg

This is a 6.7 which is a torque monster and with his turbo setup having capabilities of 100psi I don't see the rods loving life at all unless he's planning on making all his power above 4000rpm. It could stay together but Im guessing the rods will have some distortion if it makes 1000HP.

And I'm by no means discrediting the OP and his build, just sharing my experience/opinion. I understand a budget.

What was the timing on that sucker? I've made 1,855 lb-ft to the wheels on my 89, and so far so good. That's not to say all my rods don't look like that either though. :poke:

I still think a lot of the common-rail failures come from nobody knowing where their timing is at.

Also, I did a run on a dry lake bed, and could spin the tires at 100mph at will.....I would put as many thousands of pounds as you can in the bed of that truck as you can, 6000lb or 8000lb will be about the same top speed after 5 miles of flooring it, but traction will be crazy different.

For RPM's I was aiming for around 3800-4000.I'm not sure how high I could take the RPM with this setup,theres 110lb springs holding the valves closed.

Tim

Why?

How many RPM will you be planning on? With those rods, just spin it and stay out of the torque. 12v Rods have held up just fine for everyone except the Factory RPM CR crowd.

Chris

Also, I did a run on a dry lake bed, and could spin the tires at 100mph at will.....I would put as many thousands of pounds as you can in the bed of that truck as you can, 6000lb or 8000lb will be about the same top speed after 5 miles of flooring it, but traction will be crazy different.
Agreed.. Land speed cars pack thousands of pounds of lead into the car. Weight is free downforce.

Back