Front end solutions

BW Motosports

JUST SOME BROKE KID
Alright everyone I was hoping to start a thread of everyone's front end cures for our trucks.

-Tricks and tips to cure front end ratcheting or rattle
-Aftermarket parts to cure the issues in the steering assembly of our trucks
-GM updated parts that can be swapped in to aid
-Any other suggestions, tips or tricks that have worked for any of you or any so called DIY tricks to stay away from.
Ben

tie rod sleeves or a set of heavy duty tie rods is all you NEED.
Throw in a straight center link and the front end will be rock solid.
braces for the Idler and pitman are also options

I know that duramax store has a nice kit that is called the ultimate front end package stage 3. This kit includes

-Kryptonite Solid Center Link

-Kryptonite Tie Rods

-Kryptonite Idler Support Bracket

-Kryptonite Xtreme Idler Support Frame Gusset

-Cognito - Idler Pitman Supports--PISK2008

-Moog-Problem solver Idler/Pitman Arms-K6535-K6654

The kits cost is $1380

I know that duramax store has a nice kit that is called the ultimate front end package stage 3. This kit includes

-Kryptonite Solid Center Link

-Kryptonite Tie Rods

-Kryptonite Idler Support Bracket

-Kryptonite Xtreme Idler Support Frame Gusset

-Cognito - Idler Pitman Supports--PISK2008

-Moog-Problem solver Idler/Pitman Arms-K6535-K6654

The kits cost is $1380

I have all of that stuff, short of the Idler frame gusset. I did notice the idler bracket on my frame is now a little tweaked, i will most likely reinforce that before next pulling season. Although im not one to let off the throttle at the sled pulls until the red flag drops or the truck stalls.

The cheap way out is Tie rod sleeves and ratchet strapping the center link to pull. I did that for a season and a half with no issues.

I have all of that stuff, short of the Idler frame gusset. I did notice the idler bracket on my frame is now a little tweaked, i will most likely reinforce that before next pulling season. Although im not one to let off the throttle at the sled pulls until the red flag drops or the truck stalls.

The cheap way out is Tie rod sleeves and ratchet strapping the center link to pull. I did that for a season and a half with no issues.

Do you have any pictures of that?

Would it be possible to make this a sticky someplace being that it is such a common issue for us ?

Last edited:
Now what about the steering shaft rattle and the plastic bearing under the console, Any fixes for these ?

gm has an updated part for the bearing in the lower steering column, i changed that and the steering shaft and it made a world of difference. felt almost like a new truck after i rebuilt the whole steering system

gm has an updated part for the bearing in the lower steering column, i changed that and the steering shaft and it made a world of difference. felt almost like a new truck after i rebuilt the whole steering system

What did you use for a steering shaft ? aftermarket or a new GM part ?

Actually, my brother in law Drilled and tapped his steerting shaft and a couple of his buddy's for grease fittings. I have yet to check out how he did it.

If we could get a write up on this I think quit a few of us would find it useful. $.02

Last edited:
umm i used a cheap aftermarket steering shaft becuase at the time i did not know what a problem they were. but i do have like 10k miles on it so far and seems to be ok, not many of those are highway miles either seeing as my truck is pretty much my weekend cruiser. but ive heard of guys haveing problems with new factory shafts at 30k miles. hopefully someone will be able to chime in and let us know what a good quality aftermarket choice would be

For the intermediate steering shaft the best I have found and many others is the Dorman replacemant. When side by side the difference is very apparent.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-425-176-Intermediate-Steering-Shaft/dp/B000Q0K5SQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351456974&sr=8-1&keywords=2004+silverado+steering+shaft"]Amazon.com: Dorman 425-176 Intermediate Steering Shaft: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21CUbckDT4L.@@AMEPARAM@@21CUbckDT4L[/ame]

Also alot of these "braces" and "stiffeners" are way overpriced and can be made up in your driveway with a buzzbox and raw materials for no investment.

I have also heard just as many bad things about the straight centerlink as the stock centerlink so to me it seems smarter to keep that centerlink money in your pocket since people complain about both.

Last edited:
Back