389 glider build

6NZ's are a good engine but I agree on the over-rated part. I've ran with a couple tuned MXS's with the IVA deleted and they are very stout, and are getting better mileage than my dads 6NZ. People are afraid of what they don't know, and since basically 95 when the 5EK came out people have fell in love with the 3406E and "single turbo" C15's. It just proves that most engines can be improved on and it takes time to figure out what works. I'll continue to enjoy watching pre 04 trucks bring ridiculous prices though.

BTW, the build looks cool, I've always wanted to do a glider.

I used to buy the 6nz hype, but after I've been in this MXS I've liked it more than any 6nz I've ever driven, and especially since we put the BD on it

Anyone know if someone is building good aftermarket replacements for the turbos yet, when it's time to replace those I think that's where the differences are, availability and cost.

My brother is a fuel injection/turbo guy and he seemed to think the turbo's were somewhat mismatched and thought alot could be gained by going with a slightly different setup, I'm not sure if his shop sells or builds anything for them though.

My brother is a fuel injection/turbo guy and he seemed to think the turbo's were somewhat mismatched and thought alot could be gained by going with a slightly different setup, I'm not sure if his shop sells or builds anything for them though.
Problem is you'll never find anything that bolts on as compact as the stock ones. I've heard they're restrictive too but I know guys with Acert's with all the IVA's removed and converted to 40pin ECM's that put down 800hp and never get over 1100*. I'm not saying they're the greatest compounds ever but from my experience they're not nearly as bad as the internet says. I have no doubt they could be improved, you know Cat wasn't after high HP performance when they choose this setup.

There is a fuel/turbo shop here in Ohio that figured out what the chargers are and will sell replacement cartridges. Of course I found this out AFTER I bought two complete replacement chargers when an exhaust sleeve destroyed mine.

Last edited:
So.....tell me about these IVA's, what are they, what do they do, and how hard are they to get rid of?

Intake Valve Actuators. I haven't messed with them much but I think they can basically alter the valve timing (open longer than what the cam holds it open). I think they're built in to the jake brake housing which holds the rocker assemblies down so you'd need the older style jakes, and a 40 pin ECM would eliminate the wiring going to them and some other stuff. Its been a couple years since I've had one torn down. Jfaulkner can probably explain this better.

So.....tell me about these IVA's, what are they, what do they do, and how hard are they to get rid of?

02Dmax is correct. One the first Acert C15 (BXS prefix) the jakes and IVA's are separate so they're the cheapest/easiest to remove. Re-pin wiring harness (or buy new) rocker box (or reuse the old one with some mods) plug IVA oil line, 70pin ADEM3 ECM (BXS is ADEM4, they look identical but won't take the same files) . When I say cheapest your still talking $2k just in parts. On the MXS/NXS models they're part of the jake housing so they're expensive to convert. You have to drill the gear housing backing plate for a cam sensor, I think a new cam gear, new wiring harness, new ECM if you do some junkyard shopping your still going to have like $5,000+ in parts. The DPF motors (SDP prefix) they can be turned off in the ECM with an aftermarket tune.

Some use a 40pin ECM/harness because they're cheaper but if its a newer truck the dash may not work correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Jfaulkner, mine is an MXS so I doubt my boss will be wanting to do it, but with our 09 w900 he might be more interested once the is warranty is up

Thanks for the info Jfaulkner, mine is an MXS so I doubt my boss will be wanting to do it, but with our 09 w900 he might be more interested once the is warranty is up

Personally I would wipe my butt with that warranty. Delete the junk and he will have no use for the warranty. SDP's are stout with a 725hp tune and a delete. Don't know if its how they're tuned originally to compensate for the DPF but they run better than the rest.

Messed with a CM871 ISX today. (DPF version) ECM logged over 900 gallons of fuel burned just for regen so far since it was new. Lol

image_zps10599045.jpg

20130317_115023_zpse7e6ca08.jpg

20130317_121336_zps4ee1a068.jpg

20130317_121358_zps97d71de0.jpg

Finaly got it home.

Yeah that makes sence, do they still offer the wood grain? All the 389's I have saw were the same as yours.

You can't get the wood grain anymore, they all look like that cheap plastic crap. Sidenote, where are all your gauges?

You can't get the wood grain anymore, they all look like that cheap plastic crap. Sidenote, where are all your gauges?

Ah not true I got a 2013 with dark wood grain and black and tan panels also would like to know what happend to the gauges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny thing is idk I ask them an they said that's the standard gauge package.On all arr petes the dashes afe full guessing its another way to say money an build them cheap.

Mine has wood grain on the door panels an you can get wood still just have to order it that way or find one a dealer order that way .

Back