Thicker Main Dowels for 12 Valve Cummins

Turbo1967

Turbo1967
Hello all,
A few months back I came across a YouTube video where someone was offering slightly thicker main cap dowels for the 12 Valve to help to reduce cap fretting in moderately higher horsepower applications rather than installing a main girdle. Does anyone know where to purchase these thicker dowels? I cannot seem to find the video.
Thanks!

Hello all,

A few months back I came across a YouTube video where someone was offering slightly thicker main cap dowels for the 12 Valve to help to reduce cap fretting in moderately higher horsepower applications rather than installing a main girdle. Does anyone know where to purchase these thicker dowels? I cannot seem to find the video.

Thanks!
Am I allowed to call bullshit?

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Am I allowed to call bullshit?

Well, I didn't imagine it. I remember the details, for moderate hp, girdle not needed, this guy was offering slightly thicker wall thickness dowells, that I guess were also a better material than stock.

I even made notes in my on-going journal to order them, but didn't write down the supplier.

I fail to understand how they would keep a block from twisting. They are merely an alignment dowel. Yes, an extremely important alignment, thus my argument would be not to replace any dowel unless they are damaged, especially in a engine that has run millions/billions of rotations. The original dowels will place the cap right back where it's been running happily for ever.

Well, I didn't imagine it. I remember the details, for moderate hp, girdle not needed, this guy was offering slightly thicker wall thickness dowells, that I guess were also a better material than stock.

I even made notes in my on-going journal to order them, but didn't write down the supplier.
Well, It's flawed logic. Surface area Vs Clamp load dictates fretting or the lack thereof, not the dowel which would be in shear load by then.
I just don't see them being beneficial.

I fail to understand how they would keep a block from twisting. They are merely an alignment dowel. Yes, an extremely important alignment, thus my argument would be not to replace any dowel unless they are damaged, especially in a engine that has run millions/billions of rotations. The original dowels will place the cap right back where it's been running happily for ever.
I would only consider this with the main surfaces were machines and resided. Sure as hell not a DIY retrofit.

I would only consider this with the main surfaces were machines and resided. Sure as hell not a DIY retrofit.

Right, like after an align hone when you're starting from scratch.

Not.

Not trying to get “preachy”, but it’s the holiest day for Christians, the day Jesus beat death and was resurrected from his tomb.

totally agree with the philosophy...been to walmart lately. i havent been in a yr probly....but i remember....

Eggs are a holdover from a pagan ritual signifying new life. Same as the rabbit, both are seen as a sign of rebirth and fertility. Me personally, I like ham. Ham is a meat that represents naps.

my mothers 86...wanted pizza of all things..so we got pizza..lol...shes a whip...been awhile she said ...cracked me up...

Back