Y does everyone hate p pump first gens???

I've read this great thread.. but have questions. I always thought the power band was fatter on a VE pump over the P7100? Maybe it's not fatter but the torque is greater lower versus more hp at higher rpm on a P7100. A d250 chose me and I like it most of the time- but need much more power.
I've got a RH47 transmission installed. I thought a billet convertor and trans upgrades plus a turbo upgrades would get me up to 325 hp and be happy. But if 600 hp in a P7100 is easily doable- but how is driveability and towing. I don't need a peeky motor.

I see statements of peak power 2500 rpm and torque 1000-1200 ft lbs. How would a P7100 compare?

Michael

A variable timed engine (ve, vp, cr)will always have better manners than a static timed engine (p7100). 300hp is not difficult with a ve and is pretty impressive in a comparatively light 1st gen

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

I think I'm gonna piss on all y'all and not put my VE back on. F it, I'm going to ppump my motor before it goes back in the ferd. Make me an easy 600.

To me to wear the badge 1st gen it has to have a VE pump. Otherwise it is just a first gen body might as well be a half ton with CR motor in it.

My 1st of a dozen or so Dodge Cummins was a 93 w250 long bed, ext cab 4x4 dog. Several years and dollars later, I could literally push 600 hp 2nd gens down the road or leave em in a black cloud from hell! Dyno not required!!! Since I been called a douche,I ain't about to tell what all was in engine and tranny! Went to lokup and then p pump and twins to overcome all that rotating wt. Well, when frame off restore is done, that ve motor and better 46 rh tranny will be back in!! It may not ever dyno with some of you p pumpers, but if Toolman will give me my badge back, I will flash it at ya when I come around ya!!

I gotta' say it, the douche factor is pushing me:

A VE on a 1st gen is like the paint marks, or #s matching engine/trans on a 1970 Hemi Challenger or A Tri-Power Corvette.
All it does is make it more collectible and "valuable".

I still ain't ever eaten a dollar that tasted good.

Mark.

I don't share the same affinity as some purists I guess. First gen purists are a fickle bunch. I love the first gen body style and I love the VE for a 400hp or less motor. great DD or workhorse pump etc etc but if I want to make a 600+hp motor I am not going to waste my time or money on a 14mm VE. I will go ppump. And I will go with a first gen body because it is a wonderful thing. To me, that just makes sense. No needing hatorade just because someone chooses that now! lol

When it comes to a first gen you can have big power, a VE, and/or the first gen body style. big power and a VE don't go together so well so I would pick the alternative.

anywhooo

If I'm going to have a p-pump I want the newer stronger truck in came in. I'm not against a p-pumped 1st gen but I don't see the point in doing it.

450rwhp in a 5,000lb 2wd First-Gen is the same as 720rwhp in an 8,000 pound truck....just sayin.

It's a dying breed and almost an art to make them run. Ya gotta do your homework and lots of trial and error with a VE. Not many know what to even do with them nowadays, let a loan make them make some respectable power. Like others said there are plenty of p pump trucks out there already and it's a fun challenge with the original pump of 20+ years of technology ago. Don't get me wrong, I love and respect the p pumps and i want to build a p pump truck for pulling but it won't be with my 1st gen.

I haven't been spanked bad enough by anything to make me wanna go p pump for the lil amount of money I have into my setup.

When you can beat a p pump or common rail truck in a race or pull with a lowly VE beat to heck farm truck, it just makes it that much better and the look on their face makes it worth it. :pop:

it's mostly because 1st gen owners tend to be broke-dicks who can't afford to build something like that, so they cling to the purity of their underpowered junk :eek:

I will go with the 1st two quotes, but not the last. I ain't no broke-dick in any usage of the word. It wasn't cheap or easy to make a ve run with 500+ hp trucks even tho some did come stock with a few parts, like 155s, that help any 12v.And some had a better stock cam than any other 12v. I went p pump to pull with. That's over with and she going back ve cause of what Smokin ACE said. And like what was just said, there is lots of room for twins with either pump. Build a ve pump rite, add proper sticks, open up the head, and couple it to a 46rh, or the early 727 if you don't need od and you got a Power Wagon!!

Attachments

• DSCN3468-1.jpg
    DSCN3468-1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
Back