I want shop pictures..

I'm with you on the wood, its what I've worked with most. Dad went with steel and I did alot of work in it and I wasn't crazy about it, I'd havta say go with what you know, especially if your going to be workin on it.

You can see my apartment on the right in the lower photo

537717_10151016205190850_681496778_n.jpg

326417_10151264979370850_1733599773_o.jpg

That red bucket is the center for reference.

Hey Roachie........I hate you!:kick: LOL

Oh I hate me for my house also.

I cant recall the size of the apartment, I want to say is 16x30 or so. It was built to have two floors but the top isnt finished. The building is 60x80.

The nice thing about steel is the cost, low maintenance, free span space, and the fact I can hang a truck off the ceiling if I want.

I'm with you on the wood, its what I've worked with most. Dad went with steel and I did alot of work in it and I wasn't crazy about it, I'd havta say go with what you know, especially if your going to be workin on it.

absolutely man. I am one of those guys i don't really let other people do build anything i feel i can do myself.

Ill be building the thing myself! the thing with wood is it can be as strong as you want it. did i mention its what i know ha ha!

I cant recall the size of the apartment, I want to say is 16x30 or so. It was built to have two floors but the top isnt finished. The building is 60x80.

The nice thing about steel is the cost, low maintenance, free span space, and the fact I can hang a truck off the ceiling if I want.

I like the usable space in your shop. i can build a wood ceiling that will hang a truck too! ha ha! looking at the cost of steel shops though its a ton more expensive....
mostly it seems as if wood would be cheaper and easier all together. minus the hanging a truck from the cieling!

Yup. Only damage I had from Hurricane Katrina was 2 small pieces of gutter and the side roll-up door blew in because I didn't brace it. Zero damage from Hurricane Issaac.

We also have a 7.5 ton overhead crane so we needed steel for that anyway.

My apartment is 50x10 iirc.

Last edited:
throw some ideas out there too guys. if you have played around on paint or an hgtv program throw up you plan ideas for your dream shop. i will throw up a couple picture tonight or tomorrow.

I was going to say for a paint area, just use/designate one corner of the shop and have some huge drop cloths hanging from frames above. That way you keep the over spray contained mostly in one area and install some sort of fan in the wall to suck the fumes out.

That's one thing I don't like about our shop is everything gets over spray on it when we paint. But it was build 33 years ago with minimal funds. But it has heat for the winter, a drain in the floor, and four old ass alpine floor speakers that rattle the roof!

I was going to say for a paint area, just use/designate one corner of the shop and have some huge drop cloths hanging from frames above. That way you keep the over spray contained mostly in one area and install some sort of fan in the wall to suck the fumes out.

That's one thing I don't like about our shop is everything gets over spray on it when we paint. But it was build 33 years ago with minimal funds. But it has heat for the winter, a drain in the floor, and four old ass alpine floor speakers that rattle the roof!

gotta have radio! ha ha

Yeah i been thinking about that lately. at the shop i worked at before here they just had some big drapes around the paint area. Im thinking i might actually make a seperate bay for paint. that way i can better control temperature, debris, and fumes etc. with wood it doesnt cost but a couple hundred extra to put up two more walls and a fan.

got lots of ideas. i still plan on throwing up some blue print ideas to get your guys opinion.

i thought for sure this thread would blow up. there is one thing we all have in common on this site. we all either have a shop, or wish we had a shop!

Last edited:
big_bran

I hope this shop isn't going to be in Maricopa County :nail: nightmare to work with.

Here's my shop Heated in the summer and cooled in the winter and over 100 acres.

Attachments

• DSC00338.jpg
    DSC00338.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
big_bran

I hope this shop isn't going to be in Maricopa County :nail: nightmare to work with.

Here's my shop Heated in the summer and cooled in the winter and over 100 acres.

Ha Ha! no im up here in navajo county! Not quite as hot as maricopa! everywhere you look round here is hundreds of acres!

I have wanted to something with an integrates house for years. I was thinking 80x120x20 though, taking 40x80 two stories inside for the house on the second floor and the house garage below with a game room, man cave, and possibly an apartment to rent out. Leaving 80x80 for a shop. I went with 80' because I want to get a big rig one day and I want to be able to pull the rig in with trailer and not have to jacknife it make it fit.

As said before there is a 30x36 where we are located now, it is insulated etc. It is about too small, definitely would be too small, if I had to put everything in it. I would think a 30x50 would be great for a shop, and a shop only. Not including parking of vehicles.

30x50 for a shop, and then another 30x50 and such for storage out of the weather.

Maybe build a 40x80, finish 30x50 for the shop, then you could have a 10x80 drive through out of the weather, and still have a 30x30 for putting other stuff out of the weather.

Last edited:
Back