1978 Chevy Shortbed 12valve

i got a 3.07 or 3.08 ring and pinion from a 89 non i/c auto truck with a dana 70 if your interested... are the carriers the same?

Here is the project.
1978 chevrolet shortbed 2wd
all fresh 12valve 40 over
1st gen pistons/mcbee
fire ringed
valve springs
4000gsk
160 p7100
holset he351cw
valair ceramic/kevlar clutch
nv4500
D60 soon i don't think the 10bolt will last
I've been in the diesel thing for about a year now so dont beat me up too bad.

Looks good so far , what engine mounts and crossmember did you use. I'm in the process of a 12v swap into my K5, your setup seems to be further forward and maybe higher then mine. Did you have to ditch the factory front crossmember (where the proportioning valve used to mount), I know my setup is really close to it.

Thanks. I made the mounts. I used the factory pirch unbolted them and moved them foward and welded them in place. I also had to remove the crossmember where the brake lines are. I am going to put a piece of tubing back in where it went. I will take more pics as i progress.
I also had to notch the frame for the ac compressor to have room.

Attachments

• truck 276.jpg
    truck 276.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
  • truck 278.jpg
    truck 278.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0
Cool, I was wondering how you would have managed to be able to keep the front x member. I built my own under engine crossmember, welded the factory perches in as well and used a set of mounts I copied from another conversion I had seen. Oh and I ended up boxing the front half of the frame as well, mainly due to the lift and possible twisting issues with 1000+ ftlb's on tap.
I need to update my build but if you ever get bored you can check it out over at CK5, mine is an 86 K5 , I went full convertible, using a 75 top and windshield frame, D60 in the front, 14 bolt rear, ~8" lift and will be on 40's. I'm running a 94 12 valve and a NV4500, hoping to be in the 450+ hp range when it's all said and done.

Here's a link to mine. 86 K5 - with a Cummins swap - CK5 Blazer Forums

Last edited:
Thats a cool ride. Nice skills. I still have to do more work to the frame also. It is great to see other chevy conversions out there. I hope to get alot done under the hood this weekend.

Last edited:
Thats a cool ride. Nice skills. I still have to do more work to the frame also. It is great to see other chevy conversions out there. I hope to get alot done under the hood this weekend.

Thanks ! Progress has been really slow lately, between my family, work, and the wonderful heat wave.

Yours should be a blast to drive, as light as it should be, traction may be a problem ;)

There are a few of us at CK with Cummins powered rigs, there's and awesome coil- over, 4 linked 4bt K5 , a few cummins crews and a couple of us with 6bt K5's .

I'll definitely keep up on your build, I keep thinking how cool a 4bt powered 2wd short bed would be for a daily commuter !

Ok cool i'll post more pics before the weekend is over. Oh yeah the HEAT i live in Florida and i weld for a living.

Got a little more done this weekend. The motor got timed, valves adjusted, injectors,pump, manifold and lines.

Attachments

• truck 005.jpg
    truck 005.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 0
  • truck 011.jpg
    truck 011.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
Got a little more now that it is a bit cooler. Got the turbo clocked and on as well as the hood.

Attachments

• truck 016.jpg
    truck 016.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 0
  • truck 018.jpg
    truck 018.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 0
I've seen 3.42 for the 14bolt

I've only seen the 3.42 in a 12 bolt... and that was after it put a tooth from the ring gear through the cover. That was in a 79 with a 4bt dropped in it in 91.

Back on topic nice build, I've been wanting to do something like this with grandad's 79 long bed, only it started life with a 5.7 diesel.

I've only seen the 3.42 in a 12 bolt... and that was after it put a tooth from the ring gear through the cover. That was in a 79 with a 4bt dropped in it in 91.

Back on topic nice build, I've been wanting to do something like this with grandad's 79 long bed, only it started life with a 5.7 diesel.

Thanks. I gotta say things have been real smooth so far other than the heat.
The next project will be in the winter for sure.

Got the intercooler mounted. I had alot of fun with it. Now i have to fab up some brackets to get the grill back in. More updates soon to come.

Attachments

• intercooler 030.jpg
    intercooler 030.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 0
  • intercooler 023.jpg
    intercooler 023.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 0
  • intercooler 021.jpg
    intercooler 021.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 0
I got the new seats in today. Let me know what you think. Just a thought what would you do if it were your project? The truck will be on the road sometime in October.

Attachments

• seats 011.jpg
    seats 011.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0
Got a little more done. Still shooting for Halloween! I built a p-pump throttle bracket. I can't find any used around here and there is no way i would have spent 400.00 for a new one.

Attachments

• bracket 004.jpg
    bracket 004.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
  • bracket 027.jpg
    bracket 027.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
  • bracket 036.jpg
    bracket 036.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 0
Back