99 FL60 mutt/conversion/repower project build

I agree with your reasoning. Just surprised it might have been that high, unless previous owners had bumped the timing without first verifying where it was already set.

I agree with your reasoning. Just surprised it might have been that high, unless previous owners had bumped the timing without first verifying where it was already set.

If the same mechanic that failed to put the bolts in the rear air compressor/PS mount has the inj pump off wouldn't surprise me..

I might bump it to 22°

:lolly:

What is the heaviest you have been so far?

Officially, 36k
Pushed 40k gross when I hauled these, 18k each..

29064574_10214588758206233_8383498427174723193_o.jpg

Been doing some research on the block variations
6CTa 8.3 B/S 4.49/5.31" 12V p7100
flat tappet camshaft
Splah cooled pistons..
ISC 8.3 24V
there is Caps version and swapped to HPCR in 04-05 later ISC where 8.9L
Up graded parts.. block/oil cooling system
Replaceable mid-stop cylinder liners made rebuilds easier and gave the engine a longer life.
Directed Piston Cooling lowered the temperatures which also extended the lifespan.
A crankcase breather which eliminates nearly all oil carry over.
A combination full-flow bypass lube oil filter which improves filtration, therefore, giving components a longer life.
A high-efficiency lube cooler which lowers the oil temperature but also enhances lubrication.
Roller camshaft followers that extend the life of the camshaft and are similar in design to ISX and ISM Heavy-Duty engines

ISL9 (538ci) B/S 4.49/5.69 Same block/head as ISC
Fuel/ECM are different... See alot off 2150/2250 ecm numbers on them.. I know Faulkner doesn't like those numbers.
ISC/ISL had optional Engine brakes along with turbo brakes

From ordering parts the timing gear housing for a 6cta will mount too all afore mentioned blocks same with FW housing and oil pan

Short block is the only thing that hasn't been replaced/rebuilt.. it's starting to spit oil out the crank breather under heavy prolonged throttle.

Thinking about finding a ISC/ISL block to rebuild/buy new...maybe a 8.9 version, fingers crossed nothing happened to current one till at least December 2018

Well some thing gave out on the engin Tonight... Over pressurized the coolant system, lifted the dipstick off and some rattling...
Waiting on tow truck

At least you had a nice and wide shoulder to be broken down on.

KY has nice 12' wide areas.. but that's not where I broke down.. dragged the whole thing down the road about 2 miles to an abandoned rest area and moved everything around on the on ramp area...

Completely forget about possibility of cracking a liner Jon should be fairly easy to find once the head is off...

KY has nice 12' wide areas.. but that's not where I broke down.. dragged the whole thing down the road about 2 miles to an abandoned rest area and moved everything around on the on ramp area...

Completely forget about possibility of cracking a liner Jon should be fairly easy to find once the head is off...

Hope your luck changes. Had a Cat break a liner and a piece of the liner went in the oil pump drive gear and broke the mounting flanges off the block.

So far all center head bolts with exception of the 2 at each end where pressurized.. ..
#4 piston has parts of it's crown missing..

ESN 44843226
CPL 1262
according to cummins….
piston is 3917707
liner is 3919937 thick and long version
liner piston kit is 3802407K

rebuild kit is 4955179
3802407 is 3802460(P)/3919937(L)
3802406 is 3917707(p) /3919937(L)
piston 3926961 also keeps showing up in kits

also have seen places state the short thick liners replaced the long thick liners???

and found mahle after market clevitte HD parts.. 10 didfferent piston 16 if you count two of them have 4 different "grades"
https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/media/local-media-north-america/pdfs/catalogs-and-literature/hd-12-1008_cummins_c.pdf

why did the anvil have to break in the sandbox ?!?! :bang

Back