Cat 3406c low on power

The welding thing is a good trick. Glad it worked for you and your buddy. Like Faulkner said, you're fortunate that it did not escalate to the drill stage.

How about the power issue? What now?

I had 3 broke on mine and all 3 came out by tapping with a chisel and turning by hand. Should have bought a lottery ticket.

The key is torque them to the correct ft lb. Don’t just crank on the new ones, they have to be able to stretch when stuff gets hot.

Well it was on cyl 6 and the studs were snapped off a good 1/16 into the head. I tried a center punch and Chisel with no luck. From what I found, your supposed to tq to 30 ft pound. I figure do a couple heat cycles and then do a hot retorque?

Ha. I don't mention that trick because I don't trust a done enough to do it. Honestly, we've had a high success rate doing it that way, but the guy that welded them is no longer employed here.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

Honestly it was the first time I've tried it, and reaching back into number 6 cyl to do it didn't help with trying to see with a welding hood on. I saw it on YouTube on a cat 3406 so I figured I'd try before I burnt up some of my cobalt lh drill bits. I had them both out in 10 mins. Should have went and played the lottery.

The welding thing is a good trick. Glad it worked for you and your buddy. Like Faulkner said, you're fortunate that it did not escalate to the drill stage.

How about the power issue? What now?

Yeah, this is the 1 time we got lucky lol. The manifold was an 1/8 pulled back on number 6 flange,the other 5 were straight as an arrow. He found a good used manifold so that's what I put back in. Well I didn't find any boost leaks and fuel pressure is good, pretty much determined that he needs to get a mechanical pump if he wants to add any horse, but he's walking the razors edge on hiring somebody to haul for him which he really needs to do regardless. But if he hires somebody to haul for him this is the perfect truck to put them in, not enough power to hurt anything.

Back