Truckers, lets see your rigs!

1fb7f37d78c1bb94b5783704e267acea.jpg

Sweet lookin FLC I saw on bookface

Isn't it funny that 70 pin happens to include the 1mm, 2ws, 6nz, and 7cz.
yea and the cab side is the same from 2WS-SDP except for the fan wire.

While it's kinda in the topic... What would one swap into a glider? 2ws or 5EK?

2WS and up. The 40pin stuff requires an adapter like biggy said that's about $3000 to allow the dash to work. Same with an N14, DDEC3/4 ect

Personally I'll take an Acert over any of them. 4 bolt rods, bigger rod bearings, monotherm pistons. Way better platform for HP, more so now that we seem to have the head gasket issues solved.

yea and the cab side is the same from 2WS-SDP except for the fan wire.

2WS and up. The 40pin stuff requires an adapter like biggy said that's about $3000 to allow the dash to work. Same with an N14, DDEC3/4 ect

Personally I'll take an Acert over any of them. 4 bolt rods, bigger rod bearings, monotherm pistons. Way better platform for HP, more so now that we seem to have the head gasket issues solved.

Just so I make sure I'm reading correctly. The DDEC 3/4 require said adapter as well?

And I'm assuming as always, keep the compounds? Good tune, and go?

This is all just for learning experience for me.

I'd honestly like to get behind a good tuned 12.7 and have a few days with it. I feel I'd grow to like them.

My old bullydog tuned Acert got its ass handed to it by a FL classic with a well built 12.7, and he was 11,000 pounds heavier to boot......those series 60 engines are cat killers when they're built right, an I'm a huge cat fan

My old bullydog tuned Acert got its ass handed to it by a FL classic with a well built 12.7, and he was 11,000 pounds heavier to boot......those series 60 engines are cat killers when they're built right, an I'm a huge cat fan

Not to mention fuel economy.

I have no experience with an electronic Cat or a Detroit, but from what I've heard a well tuned 60 series gets excellent fuel economy.

I am no kind of Detroit guy, but which is the desired series? Why do you see the 12.7L more than the 14L?

I have a billet S478 turbo on a 12.7 out testing right now with a our tune in it. I personally love the 60 series. It is cheap to work on, designed well, efficient doesn't leave the crank on the interstate with power adders. It's no cat but for the money they are great.

As for the Gliders: Jfaulkner you must be getting some special paperwork voodoo pushed by your glider place internally to get some of that done or semi truck gliders are a totally different animal from concrete truck gliders. Same emissions requirements are to be met for gliders as their donor typically.

Not to mention fuel economy.

I have no experience with an electronic Cat or a Detroit, but from what I've heard a well tuned 60 series gets excellent fuel economy.

I am no kind of Detroit guy, but which is the desired series? Why do you see the 12.7L more than the 14L?

12.7 was around pre emissions as well. The 14L was introduced with emissions essentially.

1fb7f37d78c1bb94b5783704e267acea.jpg

Sweet lookin FLC I saw on bookface

This guy doesn't live far from me at all. I've never seen the truck personally but it is a very nice old Freightliner. Just got it hooked to a trailer Monday.

Specs:
400 hp Big Cam 3
13 Speed
3.58 Rears
Airliner Suspension

Your question was why do you see more 12.7 that I was answering. You can delete the 14L no problem. Happens everyday. They are great deleted.

I think the early 2000-2004 14l had no emission then 04 brought on the egr. And the 525 14l in that age is very desirable if I've got it correct.

I put a bw 171702 on my 12.7 with a 600/1850 tune. It has good power and great mileage. The power gets crazy at 1800+ but I don't go that high.

What kind of tune are you runnin on your 12.7?

We have a 2000 model 6NZ in our 2015 Pete 389 Glider.

Cost was not much different from a new truck, but worth every dang penny....I will say, that the dealer we used...and I think some people here might have been involved...but it was their first glider, and they weren't sure what all was involved, so I think we paid more because of that.

Chris

I think the early 2000-2004 14l had no emission then 04 brought on the egr. And the 525 14l in that age is very desirable if I've got it correct.

I put a bw 171702 on my 12.7 with a 600/1850 tune. It has good power and great mileage. The power gets crazy at 1800+ but I don't go that high.

What kind of tune are you runnin on your 12.7?

The 171702 is an awesome turbo on a tuned 12.7

As for the Gliders: Jfaulkner you must be getting some special paperwork voodoo pushed by your glider place internally to get some of that done or semi truck gliders are a totally different animal from concrete truck gliders. Same emissions requirements are to be met for gliders as their donor typically.

Nope nothing special. Guy orders truck from dealer and we put whatever they want in it and he takes it to be inspected at BMV. Just needs the paperwork on the truck and either the VIN of the donor truck OR paperwork showing where the engine/trans/axles or whatever came from. Can be nothing more than a bill from salvage yard or your next door neighbor.

The only issue we've had is if for instance you have a motor take a crap and instead of overhauling it you just swing another in. Then you overhaul the take out engine and use it in a glider and give them the VIN of the original truck it came from because it will come back as a titled VIN. Typical government stupidity they don't realize it's not uncommon for engines to be swapped.

The 171702 is an awesome turbo on a tuned 12.7

Good turbo on a C12, ISX and lower Hp Cat too

Just so I make sure I'm reading correctly. The DDEC 3/4 require said adapter as well?

And I'm assuming as always, keep the compounds? Good tune, and go?

This is all just for learning experience for me.

I'd honestly like to get behind a good tuned 12.7 and have a few days with it. I feel I'd grow to like them.

Correct on all accounts. A good running Detroit is fun to drive and a tuned C12 with a good charger will embarrass a 550 C15. Even a C13 will easily do 550 to the tires, run cool with just a slight smoke haze.

Nope nothing special. Guy orders truck from dealer and we put whatever they want in it and he takes it to be inspected at BMV. Just needs the paperwork on the truck and either the VIN of the donor truck OR paperwork showing where the engine/trans/axles or whatever came from. Can be nothing more than a bill from salvage yard or your next door neighbor.

The only issue we've had is if for instance you have a motor take a crap and instead of overhauling it you just swing another in. Then you overhaul the take out engine and use it in a glider and give them the VIN of the original truck it came from because it will come back as a titled VIN. Typical government stupidity they don't realize it's not uncommon for engines to be swapped.

Good turbo on a C12, ISX and lower Hp Cat too

The 171702 works out well on a C12? 172743 K31 Is typically what guys love because it spools well and bolts directly in place of the GTA4294 (which is junk). I may have to have one of my guinea pigs try the 171702. Some have run the 171701 S471 but weren't crazy about the idea of no wastegate. I have sold a few to the ISX guys but most aren't happy about losing so much of their braking.

Last edited:
Correct on all accounts. A good running Detroit is fun to drive and a tuned C12 with a good charger will embarrass a 550 C15. Even a C13 will easily do 550 to the tires, run cool with just a slight smoke haze.

I've driven a good running c12 and it would make our other cats look like piles of chit. No idea what was done to it but it was a good setup.

To throw a wrench in... Say you were gonna convert an older truck to electronic...
5EK or 2WS?

Back