05 to 03 ecm flash

but, you can turn an 03 into an 04 and vice versa without damaging the ECM... can you flash an 03 ECM to run in an 04?
Really? I show the ECT sensor is in a different hole on the C1 ECM connector for 03 than 04's. I wouldn't mind confirming this isn't the case.

Really? I show the ECT sensor is in a different hole on the C1 ECM connector for 03 than 04's. I wouldn't mind confirming this isn't the case.

yup, if you put an 03 ECM in an 04, the temp gauge will peg out. but flashing an 03 ECM into an 04 calibration won't damage it and aparently will work fine.

if you put an 03 auto ECM in an 04 auto, the temp gauge will peg out and the gear indicator won't indicate in 1, 2, D, only PRN, and the tranny will limp. The 03's have an external PCM. I guess they figured out how to integrate the PCM functions inside the ECM on the 04's.

I am currently looking into upgrading my 03 manual ECM to an 06. Would this be possible if the harness and ECM where upgraded to an 06? I understand the differences between the buses but am curious if the harness was also upgraded if it would work. How will this effect the CAM sensors ect.. ?

Last edited:
I've got a couple customers that have done it and running with the 06 ecm. Harnesses and ecm still using the 03-05 injectors.

Did they have to upgrade any of the sensors to the 06 version or are they the same? Correct me if I am wrong but the CAM sensors plug in the same but Injectors are different.

The sensors work in stock form IIRC. Not sure about the gauges as these are stripped down race trucks. I heard Painless has the harness fix, but not 100% sure.

Yes you can only if it is a early 04 truck. I do it all the time.
I wasnt able to get it to work. Whats the secret? I took an ECM out of an 03 auto, put it on an 04 auto and ran a recovery file VIN specific to the 04 on it. It took the file fine, and the truck started and ran fine, took fuel fine and all the gauges worked. When the truck was put in gear, the TC would lock and kill the truck. I know on the 03's the PCM is external, and in 04 the PCM functions are integrated in the ECM.

Back