S400/96mm turbine vs S400/83 turbine

So whats everyones opinions/experiences with a "Clipped" wheel vs a milled wheel for meeting a specific class rule?

Im half tempted to forgoe the custom turbo and go "Clipped" S400SX4 and get the Danville housing to suit my needs....

BUT Im on the fence about performance from a clipped vs a milled to spec wheel.

If you have x internal area in the housing with a 83mm turbine, and you bore it out for a 96mm turbine, that x area is reduced. Unless your 74?mm exducer is your restriction, I think you just made the housing tighter than a .9

Since you're technically running a smaller a/r then, but with bigger wheel, would spool stay about the same?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Since you're technically running a smaller a/r then, but with bigger wheel, would spool stay about the same?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I did a back to back on the 83/74 and the 87/80 several years back. The 87 was harder to light.

This was the old 87 and not the current J-Trim 87?

Correct the older wheel.

I do remember vaguely the days of the s300.

66mm with 65mm turbine in a 14cm housing
66mm with 71mm turbine in a 14cm housing
66mm with 74mm turbine in a 14cm housing

65mm turbine was the easiest to light, and the 74mm was the hardest. I can't say it was back to back, but truck had minimal changes curing the swaps.

Last edited:
Correct the older wheel.

I do remember vaguely the days of the s300.

66mm with 65mm turbine in a 14cm housing
66mm with 71mm turbine in a 14cm housing
66mm with 74mm turbine in a 14cm housing

65mm turbine was the easiest to light, and the 74mm was the hardest. I can't say it was back to back, but truck had minimal changes curing the swaps.

:what:

why not use the 92 turbine or 87 turbine if your stuck with a t4 turbine limit? Personally I have only had luck with the 96 turbine in a 1.1 t6, 12v tho.

Les I just helped my best friend put a 72/87/.90T4 on his 06 6 speed and it spools amazing considering its still a stock injector truck and has a 181/210 cam in it. It is also making 55psi of boost but we havnt checked his drive pressure yet.

I did a back to back on the 83/74 and the 87/80 several years back. The 87 was harder to light.

The 87mm wheel is cast clipped, and the 83mm wheel is not.

Stands to reason that the clipped 10-blade wheel such as the 73mm would spool slower than both the straight 10-blade 71mm wheel and the straight 11-blade 65mm wheel.

Comparing compressor or turbine wheels based solely on their sizes is like comparing the power of different vehicles that are the color red.

Last edited:
Back