S400/96mm turbine vs S400/83 turbine

Care to share your experience with going from the 83--->87?

Tuning the same?

Sure man no problem. All of this was on my previous truck, 05 5.9 CR with 100% exergys and Smarty TNT-R tuning. I started with a 475/83/1.0 after my Batmo blew up .3 miles after install, at the track I saw drive above boost by 5-10#. Generally it ran 55# of boost to 60-65# of drive, with smarty on #8. Basically the same boost/drive ratio on the street only with lower numbers obviously. That was with smarty on #5. Then I switched to a .9 housing. It was alot easier to drive on the street and ran harder at the track. Boost was again 55# but drive crept up to 65-70#. My best time with the .9 housing was 11.49. Believe the best with the 1.0 was 11.59.

Then I decided to try out the 87 wheel, 475/87/1.0. I was nervous about drivability but that wheel is ridiculous. I loved it! Regardless of the tune or how I drove it, boost was always 10# higher than drive and it made some awesome power. The only time I saw boost barely even with drive was right after the 1000' mark on the big end. I gained about 2 mpg going to that wheel and I felt it was easier to drive with than the 83 wheel. Fastest time spinning well past the 60' mark was 11.24@122.2. The only difference going to the .9 housing with the 87 wheel was quicker spool up getting on it on the highway. I was stunned how much air that wheel could move for its size.

Both of these turbos were standard cast wheel BW units. Got them both from Ashley Black. The one that was on there when I sold it was a 76/87/1.0, and it was just stupid. He had the comp wheel cut from a 80mm FMW wheel. So it had the 76mm inducer with the 80s 110mm exducer. Sounded like a supercharger and moved crazy air. Never saw drive above 40# with that set up, again same tuning and set up.

I'm running a s400 based charger with a 96mm wheel with a 1.0 t4 housing and have very good luck with it.

Comparing compressor or turbine wheels based solely on their sizes is like comparing the power of different vehicles that are the color red.

:hehe:

I especially like it when people say a GT42 will spool faster than an S400 since the turbine wheel is smaller... they're completely different turbos!

Anytime bud! Let me know if I can be of any more help.

So in your experience, which housing provided you the best combo of spool vs top end? 1.0?

What was the spool time increase from the .9--->1.0? Couple hundred rpm or less?

Not trying to pick anyone out in particular, it's just very common.

So in your experience, which housing provided you the best combo of spool vs top end? 1.0?

What was the spool time increase from the .9--->1.0? Couple hundred rpm or less?

The 1.0 helped keep egts down, but it would surge on the top end too. The .90 was better for steet driving and seemed to push the turbo harder, rightfully so I suppose it being a smaller housing. I preferred the .90 housing on both my 475s, but it made more of a difference with the 83 wheel. The 87 wheel was just badass no matter what I put it in. With the 476 I liked the 1.0 housing. The .90 would spool about 300 rpm faster.

See I LOVE the 83/.9 on my 75...spools great and little surge if I go lockup too soon, but very easy to drive.

See I LOVE the 83/.9 on my 75...spools great and little surge if I go lockup too soon, but very easy to drive.

When I ran the 83 wheel I definitely preferred the .90 housing, but to me the extra power the 87 wheel offered was worth the barely slower spool, and it was easier on the motor since it ran much lower drive pressure. I always locked the TC in 2nd gear, my surge, if any came from shifting into OD but it wasn't bad.

For my setup with the 96 wheel in a 1.10 housing I will be running a 60 mm gate to control drive. Its also going in a 6.7

I have a 1.10 housing for the 96mm wheel for sale. PM me if interested

Back