Twin set up questions

I spoke with some on from crazy carals Turbo. They weren't to fond of running a 351 on a 12v . they say 12vs are ment to have the hx35. Nor did they like the idea for a 300 frame for a primary... I guess they can't help me with the piping kit.

Why? Just curious. I love them on 12v's, especially 1st gen 12v's with a very small window of usable RPM.

I am looking to do this as well. Been thinking a super b with a box 475 would be awesome

This is the setup I currently have on my 04. Went with the Super B as a secondary to help clean up the low end smoke quicker, and it does it's job well. Now that better tuning exists for these SCI trucks, I plan on moving up to a 63/68/14... But I would say super b secondary on the older trucks would perform well also.

Last edited:
This is the setup I currently have on my 04. Went with the Super B as a secondary to help clean up the low end smoke quicker, and it does it's job well. Not that better tuning exists for these SCI trucks, I plan on moving up to a 63/68/14... But I would say super b secondary on the older trucks would perform well also.

What are you doing with the super b? I have been trying to find a used cheaper one

Actually a buddy of mine with a second gen wants it. He is compounding with a S471.

You can get them cheaper. Just search S300GX... They won't have BD's ETT wheel or nameplate, but are about $400 cheaper.

Why? Just curious. I love them on 12v's, especially 1st gen 12v's with a very small window of usable RPM.

Idk that was the explanation I got. It seemed like I was bothering them with my questions so I stopped.I still like the idea of a 351 over a s369. The only other set up I would run would be a 351 over a 472. Everyone keeps trying to sell me on a 475. But I don't want the lag lol if I was looking for hp. And a pure play toy.. I would throw a s480 under my sxe 64.5 and up the injectors to 5x16.

But what one do you get there are a few different combos. Dont they come with wastegates witch is a plus

From the detroit application they generally have a gated 1.15 t6 housing or 1.28 iirc as well.

The nice thing about garretts is there are a ton of housing options.

I'm planning on doing the K27 over SXE369 as recommended by Todd. I need to get my finances squared away otherwise would be doing it right away.

Could always put the new 1.15 T6 housing on the box S475 as well... The Gta4202 is a good charger but it isn't known for being robust. They are actually replaced with a 171702 box S475 on over half of the trucks we put a tune in.

Could always put the new 1.15 T6 housing on the box S475 as well... The Gta4202 is a good charger but it isn't known for being robust. They are actually replaced with a 171702 box S475 on over half of the trucks we put a tune in.

I agree that an S475 is a better fit for a 12.7L engine at 550hp, but a GT42 is plenty robust for a 5.9L engine at 600hp. Seems like most people forget the GT42 has a 3" turbine vs the 3.5" turbine in the box unit S475.

I have seen many kits with a gt42. I know it can be confusing trying to find the right part number for the correct sizing. I know 7.3 guys run them as a single.

The 351 is out the window my brother just bought a " add a turbo" for his 07 5.9. 351 over s475. Looks like I may do a 35 / what ever i decide.

Who makes a piping kit for a gt42?

I agree that an S475 is a better fit for a 12.7L engine at 550hp, but a GT42 is plenty robust for a 5.9L engine at 600hp. Seems like most people forget the GT42 has a 3" turbine vs the 3.5" turbine in the box unit S475.

We built a small compound turbo setup for a local customer referred to us by Weston.... thanks! Anyway, he ended up with a GT4202 atmosphere charger in the compound setup and it worked out well for a dual purpose towing, hot street truck (600 HP) here at high altitude. We were able to do a bunch of simulated towing runs on the dyno and compare back to back with my personal truck that runs an S480/1.32 based compound setup with the same small high pressure turbo. The GT4202 based compounds had almost 50 more useable HP in our towing simulation at the same max EGT. The GT42's smaller turbine and housing seemed to be the key as it made more boost at lower load conditions and resulted in better overall EGT control. Power wise, the S480 setup was good for around 80 more peak HP and still towed way better than a stock turbo setup, but the GT42 based compounds was the clear winner in our testing as far as towing EGT control and mid-range spoolup.

BigBlue24,

My finances have sucked recently and has been why I haven't finished that order I started with you, but do you have plans to compare those setups to a K27/SXE369 combo? How does the SXE369 stack up against the GT4202?

Thanks,

Andrew

After talking with Weston and reading up more on the gt42 I think that's the set up I'd like to run. I've been talked out of a sxe369 as a primary

BigBlue24,

My finances have sucked recently and has been why I haven't finished that order I started with you, but do you have plans to compare those setups to a K27/SXE369 combo? How does the SXE369 stack up against the GT4202?

Thanks,

Andrew

We plan to do a bunch of testing here in the near future, our towing compound kit K27 over 369sxe will be one of the test setups. As far as comparing various atmosphere chargers, it's difficult because usually the GT42 or K31 based compound setups are one-off for a single customer so we can't really go run their brand new turbo system on our test mule. We do have quite a bit of test data from different customer's vehicles so we can compare those graphs, but every engine is a little different even when built with the same parts so it's never a fair apples to apples test, but we can use the data to see trends and one obvious trend is the smaller the turbine, the more useable low RPM power the setup makes at the expense of higher RPM power. My S480 compound setup runs great well into the mid 3000 rpm range, whereas the GT42 compound setup seemed to lay over around 2700 RPM and drop power quickly.

Back