VE 6.7 conversion part 2

Wow. Impressive. Maybe I missed it, but how are your injectors mounted? Are you using a 6.7 head and center mounting them? Props to you for jumping in there and getting in done.

In terms of NOx control...are you still running EGR?

I figured I would give a bit of a update.This past couple of weeks I have been working on lowering Nox levels. I have tried alot of different things.As of 2 days ago I had the upstream Nox levels between 180ppm and max 435ppm. The nox levels are now within programmed range for Nox 1 modual. At this point my egr is still deactivated,it is not working because my turbo is still unplugged. So if the egr was functioning My Nox levels would be even lower. I did clear all my nox 1 codes.I was hoping that once I cleared my nox codes that I would be able to plug my turbo back in and it would function,that did not pan out.I think I will have to get a turbo actuator from a 2010 and up cab and chassis.

I have spent the past 2 weeks working on my fuel pressure sensor.I did not think it was going to be as hard as it was to solve it. I did not realize that there were so many variables involved.Fuel pressure to high or too low can have a direct or indirect affect on other components. If I would have known when I started this part of the project ,what I know now I would have started on the fuel pressure sensor.My original plan was to use a first gen TPS ,a resistor and a variable resistor to run in place of the FPS. That did not work. So what I ended up doing was using a microcontroller,"Arduino UNO", from radio shack. Up till this project I hae never used one. So what it does is receive a PWM signal from the ECM, this is just spliced off the signal wire at the FCA "fuel control actuator",once received it is sent back out in a little different format to a servo,the servo then basically tracks the FCA signal,and by doing that it turns the TPS which sends 0-5v back to the ECM through the FPS circuit. As it is it stayes within 200psi of the commanded fuel rail pressure. According to cummins a healthy fuel system is 500+/- of the commanded pressure.The hardest part of this was programming the arduino ,but anyone can do it.I chose to use a servo because I was worried about the ecm drawing to much current from the controller,which would burn it out,I had already fried 4 controllers trying to figure this out.I have alot to learn about writing programs,for some of you out there this would be nothing.If anyone wants my program just ask and I will post it for you,or if you think you could improve it,that would be great.The pic is of my controller set up,I have some cleanup to do on it one I get to the point of permanently mounting it. I have taken care of a few other issues since I last gave an update,I will post more in the next few days,Iam still using a first gen TPS,is in the box turned upside down.

Attachments

• DSCF1505.jpg
    DSCF1505.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1506.jpg
    DSCF1506.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Its been awhile since I posted on this project. Well I got it down to 2 remaining codes , cylinder 6 missfire and crankcase vent disconected. I had no emissions codes. This has been a long road, alot of learning . Well we went on a 2800 mile trip with it ,over all everything was great but for one problem. We got caught in a bad traffic accident near cincinatti OH and about an hour into the delay the truck needed to regen, for me to do a regen I need to be going atleast 45 and a 8 mile streatch. As we sit creeping along at 1 mph the filter starts getting fuller and once it reaches 100% it will black out my display and tell me to go to the dealer. I managed to get over and take a ramp at 95%. So this is a problem for me because when we are out on the road and stop for the night I generally leave the truck run all nigth, I cant do that with this system.There may be ways to over come this problem but we are moving to detroit and do not have the time at the moment to sort this out. So because I already have the 4th gen electrical and DEF system on it I had to pull my engine and put a stock 6.7 into the truck.I hated having to do it but it was the fastest fix for the moment.This has all been a good learning experament ,I have learnt more than most know about the inner working of the cr electrical system. Because we are moving I am going to sell my engine ,its one less thing to have to worry about moving,I did list it on ebay

Its been awhile since I posted on this project. Well I got it down to 2 remaining codes , cylinder 6 missfire and crankcase vent disconected. I had no emissions codes. This has been a long road, alot of learning . Well we went on a 2800 mile trip with it ,over all everything was great but for one problem. We got caught in a bad traffic accident near cincinatti OH and about an hour into the delay the truck needed to regen, for me to do a regen I need to be going atleast 45 and a 8 mile streatch. As we sit creeping along at 1 mph the filter starts getting fuller and once it reaches 100% it will black out my display and tell me to go to the dealer. I managed to get over and take a ramp at 95%. So this is a problem for me because when we are out on the road and stop for the night I generally leave the truck run all nigth, I cant do that with this system.There may be ways to over come this problem but we are moving to detroit and do not have the time at the moment to sort this out. So because I already have the 4th gen electrical and DEF system on it I had to pull my engine and put a stock 6.7 into the truck.I hated having to do it but it was the fastest fix for the moment.This has all been a good learning experament ,I have learnt more than most know about the inner working of the cr electrical system. Because we are moving I am going to sell my engine ,its one less thing to have to worry about moving,I did list it on ebay

Where abouts in the detroit area are you moving to?

Back