Purple People Eater Sh*t itself today

Years ago when I had a rod exit the block in several places it was the same scenario...75mph down the highway with the cruise set....minding my own business. I remember thinking I blew a tire too...until I saw the black trail on the road behind me.

Years ago when I had a rod exit the block in several places it was the same scenario...75mph down the highway with the cruise set....minding my own business. I remember thinking I blew a tire too...until I saw the black trail on the road behind me.
Yeah I left a good 400ft oil/water track lol

Oh, I meant that I have the ticking time bomb happening. I imagine the noise you had is louder than what I have going on.

I'll speakery engerish next time.

Oh lol.

So for now I've got:
Bare/fresh machined storm block
Potentially good stock cam
complete gasket kit coming
Non-ic pistons/rings/wrist pins
New tappets
New crank and rod bearings
Swapping the 78/92/1.1 for a gt4202. Supposed to spool like a bandit, and will help limit my power greed. I really am dedicated to keeping this under 700hp this time. I might actually drop injector size too.

If my head is still good, I'm going to reuse it so I can keep the orings for the twins. Same for the billet push rods I have, if they aren't scarred or bent.

I'm going to replace the motor mounts while it's out. Engine torques over a good 4" under light load.

For rods. I can keep with stock ones, should I bother with anything special? Shot peening, etc....?

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Stock rods.. 12 or 24v, you can mess with polish and peen if you want but it shouldn't matter at that level

Stock rods.. 12 or 24v, you can mess with polish and peen if you want but it shouldn't matter at that level

Ok. I'll stick with stock 12v then.
Is it worth getting the crank/rods/pistons checked out in the blown motor, or should I just toss them out or make lamps with them?

I believe both Energy Suspension and Prothane make inserts. Definitely something you want to do with the engine out. Be prepared to perform some shaping with a flapper wheel on a grinder to get them to fit.

I did see the prothane ones mentioned elsewhere, but common opinion was they were a pain in the ass. Are they about equal in quality/longevity? How do they compare in stiffness to stock?

Ok. I'll stick with stock 12v then.
Is it worth getting the crank/rods/pistons checked out in the blown motor, or should I just toss them out or make lamps with them?

In my opinion if they are dinged up pretty bad, o would not reuse them

Others know better than me though

I did see the prothane ones mentioned elsewhere, but common opinion was they were a pain in the ass. Are they about equal in quality/longevity? How do they compare in stiffness to stock?

I have them in my mounts. They're not bushing replacements. They go into the stock motor mounts' existing bushing, to fill up it's voids.

I didn't cut/sand/grind mine down at all to put it in.

In my opinion if they are dinged up pretty bad, o would not reuse them

Others know better than me though

Of course if they are visibly damaged I'll turn them into art. I mean checking more for cracks or bent stuff. Structural integrity and whatnot. I'm assuming after it blew it created a lot of stress on the rotating assembly that might have caused damage not visible to the naked eye?

I have them in my mounts. They're not bushing replacements. They go into the stock motor mounts' existing bushing, to fill up it's voids.

That gives me hope.

Last edited:

Same with mine, let them sit in a pail of hot water to get them soft and they go right in. Have a vice close by to push them in. They are really easy.

Same with mine, let them sit in a pail of hot water to get them soft and they go right in. Have a vice close by to push them in. They are really easy.

I'll try that first lol

Ended up with these. Cheapest place even with 2 day shipping.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CSYWBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 51114G Cummins Engine Mount Insert: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41UsgfxxM9L.@@AMEPARAM@@41UsgfxxM9L[/ame]

Last edited:
Oh lol.

So for now I've got:
Bare/fresh machined storm block
Potentially good stock cam
complete gasket kit coming
Non-ic pistons/rings/wrist pins
New tappets
New crank and rod bearings
Swapping the 78/92/1.1 for a gt4202. Supposed to spool like a bandit, and =
Am I missing anything?

nice i have a gt4201 really like it but im down grading

Wait, so you push them into the rubber bushing and have them cut into the rubber? I'm not sure I understand if not.

I have seen people make their own motor mounts out of poly bushings if nothing else.

Back