Turbo sizing, deeper discussion

That is impressive!
I think it goes without saying, :clap: for sharing all of this.

And a big thanks to oldestof11 for getting it started.

Good info, so lets say for instance you are using 2 box s366s as primaries. If you switched to 68/76 turbines with the same compressor, it should be more efficient. Or possibly going to 71mm compressors and keeping the 73/80 turbines? I suppose the choice would depend on how much fuel you are pushing through them.

Or possibly going to 71mm compressors and keeping the 73/80 turbines?

This is a good example, for instance a few of the WOP/Pius triple turbo setups I have seen use two K31's as the low pressure stage, having a 71/94mm compressor and 71/82mm turbine, which is maximizing the compressor inducer for the given turbine size. HTT also offers/offered the BW S300 with a 71mm K31 compressor wheel and the 73/80mm turbine wheel, it was quite potent for it's size and was what Ryan Tucker used on his '23 Altered.

Last edited:
I should also mention Chris(Joesixpack) here as well, using three GTX4508's being 80/108mm on the compressor and 80/87mm on the turbine, well done.

Last edited:
Weston,

On the WOP/Pius K31's, and the GTX4508s on Chris setup, how much effiency and performance change is lost or gained using the same compressor/turbine size and running it as a high pressure stage or even a single? Assuming the pulses would be much different on a manifold versus being primaries.

If you don't have unlimited fuel and control options like joesixpack ie everyone elseLOL well mech fuel pump people, is there ever a benefit to having the size difference between turbine and compressor?

For example if with a given turbo the compressor has enough wheel for the requirements but it is choked on the exhaust size would the option to go up a wheel size on the turbine and keep a tighter a/r be better than just going up in an a/r size on the original turbo?

I have been thinking that big turbine small a/r is better than small turbine big a/r for my future projects, am I way off?

how much effiency and performance change is lost or gained using the same compressor/turbine size and running it as a high pressure stage or even a single?

I should clarify, either the low pressure or high pressure turbo in a two stage setup can benefit from maximizing the compressor size for the given turbine size. The issue with this practice in a single stage setup is surge, in a high pressure situation such as diesel engines commonly see it is exaggerated.

For example if with a given turbo the compressor has enough wheel for the requirements but it is choked on the exhaust size would the option to go up a wheel size on the turbine and keep a tighter a/r be better than just going up in an a/r size on the original turbo?

Both can relatively achieve the same goal, but as the graph shown on the previous page illustrates, the answer to the question bigger wheel or bigger housing depends on the cubic inch of the engine in question.

I should clarify, either the low pressure or high pressure turbo in a two stage setup can benefit from maximizing the compressor size for the given turbine size. The issue with this practice in a single stage setup is surge, in a high pressure situation such as diesel engines commonly see it is exaggerated.

This is what I was curious about. Its harder to match the compressor/turbine wheels like above in a single stage without falling right on the surge line. With that being said, how much does opening up the MWE groove actually affect the surge line itself, versus the actual MAP overall. Assuming the MWE will affect the surge line some, Im curious how much ?

With that being said, how much does opening up the MWE groove actually affect the surge line itself, versus the actual MAP overall.

That would most likely depend on the groove's location and size, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

That would most likely depend on the groove's location and size, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

This is more or less what I was curious about. I figure surging comes from compressor load vs turbine load and the MWE groove wouldn't have much affect on them.

Like for a fuel only Cummins, 500-600hp. Would it be better to use a 63/99 or a 63/84? Since the Cummins are more restricted in the head, would a higher PR help? Making the 63/99 more desirable?

Now why would a 71mm drive a turbo harder than a 68? I am guessing it captures more exhaust but would it improve response?

Great topic. As mentioned earlier most O.E. turbos are designed for emissions restrictions. It is still interesting the combinations the "box turbos" where intended for.

179079 for 7.6l 62 ind 84 exd 68mm
177283 for 8.1l 63 ind 88 exd 68mm
177443 for 5.9l 57 ind 83 exd 65mm
holeset _he351 60 ind 86 exd 60
holset hx40 8.3 60 ind 86 exd 65

Last edited:
What about turbine trim? How does it relate to spool up and what factor does the speed of the exhaust pulse play into turbine selection.

What about turbine trim? How does it relate to spool up and what factor does the speed of the exhaust pulse play into turbine selection.

It's opposite to compressor so lower trim, like HT4 or S4, works with old large manifolds that make more backpressure and lower exhaust velocity. High trim turbines like HX60 97/92 need modern tight manifolds with high exhaust velocity and low backpressure.

Weston, instead of pestering you for tidbits of information, is there some reading you would recommend for further education beyond basics most can pick up from reading this and other forums? There was a link posted to a book earlier in this thread, but are there any you would personally recommend?

In my opinion no. Since surge is not an issue in a compound arrangement, I see it wise to maximize the potential of the compressor given the adjacent turbine size.

The exhaust gas entering the low pressure turbine will not be steady state, but if you are referring to it being more linear as in not seeing the engine pulses directly, then yes the high pressure turbine should subsequently dampen this.

I would also make this assumption, increasing the turbine AR is somewhat of a crutch to avoid choke flow, the only two real solutions are a wastegate bypassing the turbine or a larger turbine wheel itself, both of which are incorporated in most factory equipped compound setups.

A very common twin setup is the 66/73/.91 or 14cm paired with an s480 using a 96/88 Exhaust wheel and 1.32 housing. Most can break 950hp with this setup and some have made 1100+ on a commonrail with fuel only. My question is, do you think running the same 66 with an s480 with an 87/80 turbine and 1.10&t6? Would make more power? Or even 66/68/.91 with an s480/87/1.10t6?

A very common twin setup is the 66/73/.91 or 14cm paired with an s480 using a 96/88 Exhaust wheel and 1.32 housing. Most can break 950hp with this setup and some have made 1100+ on a commonrail with fuel only. My question is, do you think running the same 66 with an s480 with an 87/80 turbine and 1.10&t6? Would make more power? Or even 66/68/.91 with an s480/87/1.10t6?

In my opinion with some of the setups we've tried, instead of dropping turbine wheel and housing sizes. You'd be surprised at how badass a 480/96/1.10 T6 runs. Moves the power curve down in the RPM range a little and has a fairly smooth power curve.

It's opposite to compressor so lower trim, like HT4 or S4, works with old large manifolds that make more backpressure and lower exhaust velocity. High trim turbines like HX60 97/92 need modern tight manifolds with high exhaust velocity and low backpressure.

I proved this to myself this past week, tried to different turbos on my 3406, first was a garrett tv8511 with a single entry 1.39 housing, pretty similar in spec to a GT5518 and the performance was less than desirable, then switch to a HC5 holset setup as would have came on a K series, E trim turbine and 40cm twin entry housing.

This turbo is almost as responsive as the S410 that used to be on the engine, and was rather surprising to me.

Back