New trailer time, hyraulic vs electric, torsion vs spring ?'s

Looking at a 36' low pro tandem dual with a 10' hydraulic dove tail. Standard comes with 2 10k dexter axles (spring susp/electric brakes).

Loaded trailer will be at 21 to 22k.

I'm looking for opinions on whether the added cost is worth it to upgrade to torsion axles and/or electric over hydraulic brakes (either drum or disk).

Anyone have any direct experience with going from spring to torsion and the ride difference? or from electric to hydraulic brakes on the same size trailer and the difference in braking power?

Thanks for any advice!

Definitely go for electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Your front bumper will thank you when the asshole in front of you slams on the brakes. As for spring over torsion, I was told if you do mostly blacktop and occasional offroad torsion will work otherwise they can't take the stress of uneven ground and spring will last longer.

Yea if you do much offroading, through ditches etc, the torsion is not the right one to use.

Electric over hyd brakes is God's gift to the gooseneck trailer world. I would stick with drum. The first time I hit the controller at less than 5 mph with 15k on the deck I ate the steering wheel.

At 70 mph on dry interstate with the same load I could lock up all 8 tires.

Interesting talks to far. I'm surprised some people still prefer spring/shackle suspension.

I do agree with the electric/hydraulic brakes. Going from a friends elec/hyd to my full electric is night and day. Electric/hydraulic is amazing.

I wouldn't be doing much if any offroading with it, however I'm sure it will get borrowed. I'm positive the relatives and going to want to haul round bales on this one.

Options over the standard spring/elec is to go to a electric over hydraulic disk brakes (spring setup) around $1800 or to electric over hydraulic drum brakes (torsion setup) around $2800. I didn't see an option for electric over hydraulic drum brakes?

why would you choose drum over disk?

In my limited experience, disc seems to be higher maintence in general, and they don't seem to like sitting for extended periods of time, a big issue with trailers.

One thought I've had, If disc was overall better, why do semi's run drum?

I usually end up arguing with myself for quite a while over that.

In my limited experience, disc seems to be higher maintence in general, and they don't seem to like sitting for extended periods of time, a big issue with trailers.

very good points, I will have to call tomorrow and find out if that option is available and maybe just not listed on the site. Hopefully should be cheaper than the disk brake option.

Semi's don't run drums anymore. Because of new Fed regulations for shortening stopping distances everything is going to air disc.

We just ordered a 40' straight deck load trail, came out to a fairly high price but its all setup right. We just stuck with the standard spring and electric(self adjust) setup. Ordered the hydraulic front jacks though, excited for that. Hoping for this trailer to be of higher quality.

The other arguement against the torflex is when u go over a curb. Those are the things that will kill the axle.

Before you drive it home, check the safety latch on the hyd dove. On mine, I can push the down button and the dove will drop while the safety just pops out around the pins. I need to do some grinding/fitting on mine. I think while driving down the road, if I lose a hose, the dove will just drop. Other than that, I really like my loadtrail. The PJ is basically the same with very minor differences. Both come out of Sumner, TX or somewhere there close to my knowledge.

Throw up some pics! The one in my sig is a 30' (21 + 9 dove).

If you are gonna haul round bales, the 30 footer is just right to stack (6) 5 foot or (5) 6 foot bales and come out right. Just food for thought.

5x6's

IMG_4796med.jpg

5x5's

moto_0107.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I do for a living i would never buy a spring axle trailer ever they pull buck shake and if you're driving all day it's no fun I run torflex axles in everything and I'm in oilfield up in northern Alberta where the roads are **** my last 30 foot gooseneck I put 3.2 million kilometers on the never touched it Axel tires and brakes and backing plates and bearings **** never an axle as for the electric over hydraulic brakes if you have a new pick up Chevy For instance will burn out your pump because they're integrated brake controllers are not designed to run electric over hydraulic brakes as for PJ trailers I haven't talk to a person that can keep an axle in one everyone up here in Canada who trucks in the oil patch PJ salesman sends them over to Flaman to Buy trailtechs because PJs do not stand the test of time they're probably the most bottom-line trailer you can buy as far as I'm concerned PJs are garbage just my two cents boys that's all
3ujutena.jpg

this is my 35 foot trailtech love it would never buy another trailer but a trail tech
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
so is there that much difference in quality of torsion axles? some can't take a few curbs or they are worn out, I assume the rubber gets deformed and they lose ride height and strength vs the ones like mentioned above that lasted for over 2 million miles untouched?

Stealth Hotshot, is your assessment of PJ trailers being garbage just based on the fact that the torsion axle didn't last long for terrain up there?

I like the deck over neck. :D

My heaviest load to date on the Load Trail is the sig pic. 9000 ft (IIRC) of 7/8 and 5/8 sucker rod and some 2 7/8 offset pipe.

IMG_6347.jpg

Don't look like much does it?

moto_0537.jpg

I really like the load trail but they could have paid a little more attention to some very small things.....like the seal around the tool box where the hydraulic pump is located. The latch isn't in the right spot on the door so it won't shut tight and gather dust....but I'm picky like that.

Sprung axles are cheaper to fix....aren't they? And I'm pretty sure trailers built in Tejas are not meant to be beat to hell in the Canadian oil patch. LOL

Last edited:
so is there that much difference in quality of torsion axles? some can't take a few curbs or they are worn out, I assume the rubber gets deformed and they lose ride height and strength vs the ones like mentioned above that lasted for over 2 million miles untouched?

Stealth Hotshot, is your assessment of PJ trailers being garbage just based on the fact that the torsion axle didn't last long for terrain up there?

I think the issue is when you get all of the weight on one of the axles, I could be wrong. I would say if you were spending most of the time running down the interstate or over rough roads, the torsions would be good.

It is driving over curbs, etc, that I think the standard spring style would work.

Back