New trailer time, hyraulic vs electric, torsion vs spring ?'s

Probably a stupid question here but I noticed PJ offers an air ride trailer, I assume this would be even more money than the torsion axles. But it would allow deck height changes when loading and unloading... and a nice ride.

If you got the money...... :D That would be nice!

The 9' dove on mine is pretty dayum steep when loading on flat ground. If you are loading two-wheel drive trucks you might want to thing about that. I have had to stop midway and raise the deck up lifting the rear end of a dually up so the cross memeber wouldn't drag on the pivot.

I noticed that in the pics I've seen, my 2wd dually will not load on my previous trailer (Loadmax 23+5 dove) unless I use all sorts of blocks which was a pain. The way I look at it, it would be easier to just drive up, raise the dove and continue on. Either that or hit the ramp with enough speed that you "land" on the deck! j/k

They way I "cheat it" is I put the front jacks down and jack the front of the trailer up a little bit while connected to the truck. This lowers the rear and also keeps it more stable while driving up.

so is there that much difference in quality of torsion axles? some can't take a few curbs or they are worn out, I assume the rubber gets deformed and they lose ride height and strength vs the ones like mentioned above that lasted for over 2 million miles untouched?

Stealth Hotshot, is your assessment of PJ trailers being garbage just based on the fact that the torsion axle didn't last long for terrain up there?

As far as I know up here PJ doesn't offer torsion axle trailer there all spring axle trailers I'm a huge fan of the torsion axels I mean if you're driving over curbs then you need to learn how to drive or something I get all over the place Walmart parking lots everywhere with never runing over any curbs I guess all in all it's personal preference what it comes down to is his ride really and Springs where out fast like I said I had a set of torsion axels for 3.2 million km and never had a problem with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an aluminum featherlite 48' tandem dual with 10k torsion and that thing pulled as smooth as a wet dream. But it had electric brakes and those things never worked right. If I'd have kept the trailer it would have gotten electric over hydraulic disc brakes. They are soooo much nicer and smoother braking.

Check out Diamond C fleet neck, I have a 40ft hyd dove with 15k axles and love it so far. The lock on the tail is really nice and stout. Also check out the hutch adjustable suspension if you want a strong long lasting suspension...

I just ran across these and really like the idea.

https://parts.pjtrailers.com/180080.html

Those are cool and all but I use straps with the flat hooks. Run then down through the stake pocket or rail then back up and hang them. That-a-way, if the strap comes loose, it won't ever fall off the trailer. Also, try keeping the straps or chains inside the rub rail. Let them wrap around the chain spools (an option you want to get). That-a-way, if someone side swipes your trailer, it doesn't cut all the straps and/or rip all your hooks and chains off. Just food fer thought.

Also check out the hutch adjustable suspension if you want a strong long lasting suspension...

Absolutely. But do you hear that? *chaching! *chaching! LOL

I've built several lighter trailer with torsion axles, they pull so much better than springs. Air ride would be real nice but more to keep up with a compressor and lines.

On heavy trailers like you are looking at electric brakes shouldn't be an in my opinion, just not enough brakes to stop heavy loads. I've had a trailer with electric over hydraulic, worked great.

If you get the hydraulic dove it might be worth springing for hydraulic jacks, really nice.

Back