Hub dyno

largeride

So we have a chance to put our 3.0 sled puller on a hub dyno at Land and Sea Dynometers headquarters in the next few weeks . Just wondering if anyone has tried it before?

Did you tell them what you have in the diff?

Edit: I suppose they could put them on all 4 corners. Might be some hope then.

Last edited:
I'd be very surprised if it will have enough load if your running something like 5-6's in the diff and one axle.

Edit: A custom unit with larger brake's is a different story. Wonder what kind of final ratio tractors run?

Last edited:
Not sure, It's being built for a guy in Norway for his alcohol tractor, They want to try it before they send it over. It will only be on the rear wheels.

Man, I wouldnt put my truck on something that's never been run before. What if it doesn't hold and let the engine spike to 8k. Who is going to pay for the rods hanging out of it?

I guess they would know what they are doing but I wouldn't strap mine on there

Last edited:
A tractor must have way more final ratio than the 3.0 truck. If they designed it for that kind of power a 3.0 truck and less final ratio would be a piece of cake.

A tractor must have way more final ratio than the 3.0 truck. If they designed it for that kind of power a 3.0 truck and less final ratio would be a piece of cake.

Maybe not. The tire makes up a huge part of the final drive. So at the hub it may not be much different. Keep us posted with a vid and numbers when you do it.

And how's that going to work on a tractor with a open diff??
Is there any pics of this thing any where?

Last edited:
I would hope it used both hubs. 18:1 is a decent guess for a alcohol tractor ratio, without knowing any details, could be faster.

Maybe not. The tire makes up a huge part of the final drive. So at the hub it may not be much different. Keep us posted with a vid and numbers when you do it.

And how's that going to work on a tractor with a open diff??
Is there any pics of this thing any where?

That big tire is what is eating up all that final.

I was guessing 18:1 or so as well. In any case the 3.0 final is going to be way easier to hold.

X2 on the video.

Man, I wouldnt put my truck on something that's never been run before. What if it doesn't hold and let the engine spike to 8k. Who is going to pay for the rods hanging out of it?

I guess they would know what they are doing but I wouldn't strap mine on there

I'm kinda leaning the same, It would be some useful info to have, But it isn't worth the risk.

I'll know more at the end of the day about it I also ask for them to send me a pic.

I'd be all over it in a heartbeat if it was local. The load isn't just going to disappear. Most new dyno's you can pick the rpms you want to load into and it will hold it there. Pick 4500 something you can get right into it and if it can't hold the rpms and starts climbing through the brakes aren't enough.

Back