5.9 ecm on 2010+

sixinarow

ag/diesel mechanic
being the only way a 4th gen can be deleted is to run on a programmer,I have wondered what would be involved to swap 5.9 ecm and electronics to a
4th gen truck,or a whole 5.9 cr if a truck with a bad engine was found. I know there are a few claiming decent mpg from deleted 4th gens,but I think most are in the mid teens as an average. And everyone says they have to be on a high setting to get decent mpg-this doesent go well with 6.7 head gaskets when frequently towing heavy. so I have had thoughts of a 4th gen 5.9 truck-for mpg and hg reliability.

Why wouldn't you just delete it and stud it if you were worried about head gaskets. Now if you were wanting to run efiLive for better performance and logging then that's a different story. I'm pretty sure Fleece is working on that right now and I'm just waiting to see what they figure out as I'm fairly computer illiterate.

I know 06/07 ecm and harness works well on 07.5-09 trucks. Communicates with the dash too. Reality is making the engine run with the older electronics is the easy part. Weather it has the capabilities to communicate with the new truck is where the hard part begins.

Anyone ever tried to ohm out the solenoids on both the 6.7 injectors and the 5.9 injectors?
I'd think that would put this argument to rest?

Mark.

We have had 6.7 injectors in about 4 trucks now and they fire and are ran in a couple DD trucks just fine.

Thanks, Taylor. :cool:
I'm considering putting a 6.7 together using an '03 6 speed ECM/Harness.
I had considered going the '06-'07 5.9 CR head and '03 injector route, but the 6.7 injector is a far more reliable critter.

Though I AM wondering about 6.7s having seat rings, with the 2010 one I just pulled apart to-day having dropped one.

Mark.

I know 06/07 ecm and harness works well on 07.5-09 trucks. Communicates with the dash too. Reality is making the engine run with the older electronics is the easy part. Weather it has the capabilities to communicate with the new truck is where the hard part begins.

does this allow everything to work or just some stuff,and will it work on auto trucks too.??

Why wouldn't you just delete it and stud it if you were worried about head gaskets. Now if you were wanting to run efiLive for better performance and logging then that's a different story. I'm pretty sure Fleece is working on that right now and I'm just waiting to see what they figure out as I'm fairly computer illiterate.

I already sold my 2010 and bought a 03 which gets great mpg. I had everything deleted on my 2010 and still couldnt get over 15mpg. and from what Ive read and been told studs dont completely cure the hg problems.

I imagine you'd have things like the overhead console that either doesn't work, or it functions improperly.

Mark.

Anyone ever tried to ohm out the solenoids on both the 6.7 injectors and the 5.9 injectors?
I'd think that would put this argument to rest?

Mark.

There is more than just DC resistance to a solenoid.

Impedance is what would need to be looked at, and I would venture to say that most on this site haven't even seen equipment that measures impedance, let alone have one.

If someone has some injectors they want to send I have an impedance meter in the basement. I need to verify that it still works though. LOL

Last edited:
So, this test would put the argument to a rest, once and for all?
How many of each injector do you need to use your lonely, dusty, cobwebbed impedance tester on, to get the answer?

I can say that I have heard and read the TERM "X ohms of impedance", in regards to rating speakers, before but not on much else.
Always up for learning something new.

Mark.

I thought only the 03/04 ecm ran the 6.7 injectors, drove a few. I also have one I tried to tune 06 ecm 08 6.7 and injectors . Couldn't get rid of a cold start issue but it ran fine otherwise . I was told 04.5-07 ecm will not run the 6.7 injector correctly . If I'm wrong I would like to know

The 5.9 ecm won't run the 6.7 injectors properly.
Yes it will. Stop saying it unless you've personally tried it. a 2006 ECM has been used on everything from a 2003 to a 2009 with the appropriate wiring harness. I built one last night for a 2004.5. It runs fine as a standalone ECM.

...a 2006 ECM has been used on everything from a 2003 to a 2009 with the appropriate wiring harness. I built one last night for a 2004.5. It runs fine as a standalone ECM.

Intriguing.
Since a 2006 is a CAN BUS system, does making it stand alone cause any undesired issues? CEL? What codes does it set when made stand alone?
Do you have anything else wired in besides the major engine functions?

Mark.

Yes it will. Stop saying it unless you've personally tried it. a 2006 ECM has been used on everything from a 2003 to a 2009 with the appropriate wiring harness. I built one last night for a 2004.5. It runs fine as a standalone ECM.

I tried it.
07 5.9 ecm with a 08 6.7.
It ran but had a NASTY cold start issue.
I swapped out every damn thing.
Fixed it with a set of 03-04 5.9 injectors.

So in my case the 5.9 ecm would run but not good.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Intriguing.
Since a 2006 is a CAN BUS system, does making it stand alone cause any undesired issues? CEL? What codes does it set when made stand alone?
Do you have anything else wired in besides the major engine functions?

Mark.

Doesn't have any cells unless your not running that pertain sensor.

I/we have done several of these swaps only 1 time have I seen a customer say it wouldn't run then switched to 5.9 injectors.

I tried it.
07 5.9 ecm with a 08 6.7.
It ran but had a NASTY cold start issue.
I swapped out every damn thing.
Fixed it with a set of 03-04 5.9 injectors.

So in my case the 5.9 ecm would run but not good.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

We had the same issue with an '07 ecm/harness on an '08 6.7. Don't know why it would be different than say an '06 on a '08 but went to 03-04 injectors and it worked fine. Had to swap out the pedal too. It ran but it was rough and rpms would stay up after you let off.

Back