05 to 03 ecm flash

rebel127

Detroit Fuel Squeezer
A friend of mine has a 05 cummins with a blown engine he used a 03 engine long block and injectors but smokes bad he said the ecm in the 05 fires the injectors differently who would the best people be to call to get the ecm flashed to run the 03 engine? if he uses the 03 ecm it only idles and and thats it.

I would stick with the 05 ECM. We are using a 03 motor and injectors in a 07 truck. It works fine. As long as you are using the correct injector for the piston it will be the same.

as far as I know, you CAN NOT flash an 05 to an 03... 03/04 are the same possibly 04.5... 05 is unique and a split year. some were CAN trucks, some were not.

I'm not sure of the exact ins and outs, but I know if you try to flash an ECM to the wrong part number and put power to it, it will actually lock it up to the point where it won't communicate. I believe it physically damages something inside as the pin-out is different

You are correct you cannot flash the 05 with the 03 file. Different controller, different flash chips inside. This will cause the ECM to be unresponsive until you send it to somebody to repair it.

Where do people get all this misguided info? Disillusions seem to run rampant in the diesel world!

and I was mistaken, CAN = 06+ (though on the EFI live board, they were talking about some 05 CAN trucks)

Our initial release will cover model year 2006 as CAN supported vehicles. It just so happens that MY 2006 commenced production in calendar year 2005.

Cheers
Cindy

can you please tell us the different ECM models? if I put an 03 part number on an 05 and it crashes the ECM, will you cover the repair? :D

The 03-04 ecms makes 2 squirts and the 04.5+ ecms make 3 squirts. Then there is SCI vs can-bus communication. There is also a difference between ecms on auto vs manual transmissions.
I personally prefer the p7100 upgrade HD billet Y2K killer version ecm that loaded with super pumper metric fuel metering components and a belt drive support system.

The 03-04 ecms makes 2 squirts and the 04.5+ ecms make 3 squirts. Then there is SCI vs can-bus communication. There is also a difference between ecms on auto vs manual transmissions.
I personally prefer the p7100 upgrade HD billet Y2K killer version ecm that loaded with super pumper metric fuel metering components and a belt drive support system.

I'm well aware of 2 event vs. 3 event... also aware of SCI and CAN

we're talking PHYSICAL differences, not software differences. You can flash an 03 auto ECM into an 04 manual ECM, etc.

as far as I know, you CAN NOT flash an 03 ECM into an 05. There are internal PHYSICAL differences that will not allow it.

I'm well aware of 2 event vs. 3 event... also aware of SCI and CAN

we're talking PHYSICAL differences, not software differences. You can flash an 03 auto ECM into an 04 manual ECM, etc.

as far as I know, you CAN NOT flash an 03 ECM into an 05. There are internal PHYSICAL differences that will not allow it.

even if the two ecm's have different part numbers?

The 03-04 ECM only have a processor with internal Flash, the 4.5-5.5 ECM have a processor with internal flash and external flash chips. So when you load the 03 file on the 05 ECM the memory is not the same so it will give you an unresponsive ECM.

I do not know if auto and manual have different external part numbers or the same, the important thing is the software part number...

example, a friend of mine is looking for a replacement ECM for his 08... Bob said we could use any 6.7 ecm from 07-09 and he could recover it for the correct application. He didn't say anything about auto or manual.

I do not know if auto and manual have different external part numbers or the same, the important thing is the software part number...

example, a friend of mine is looking for a replacement ECM for his 08... Bob said we could use any 6.7 ecm from 07-09 and he could recover it for the correct application. He didn't say anything about auto or manual.

He is correct it doesn't matter on the 07-09 6.7 they all use the exact same ECM Manual or Auto.

Interesting. Reason I ask is because I need an ecm for mine (voltage regulator took a dump). I have access to an ecm off of a 03 auto. Mine is an 04 auto. Part numbers are different and was told that they would have to match in order for it to work. The 03 ecm will start and run my truck but the gauges on the dash are not functional.

He is correct it doesn't matter on the 07-09 6.7 they all use the exact same ECM Manual or Auto.

does the same apply for 03/04, 04.5-05.5? 06/07? thanks! :D

I know the 03's are unable to enable high idle, but it is my understanding you can put an 04 part number in an 03 computer and it will work on an 04. might be a mistaken understanding! LOL

What you need to do.

Get the part numbers off both ecms and then get onto Quickserve and see if the one supercedes the other. If so it's plug reflash and play. If not then you need to dig deeper and get the pin out for both ecms to make sure the terminals all do the same job, if not it will not interchange, if so you might be lucky and get it to work with a simple reflash. Last but not least, Chrysler dealers can not reflash used ecms unless the memory has first been erased and Cummins can not do anything with the 03+ found in the Dodges.

Last edited:
What you need to do.

Get the part numbers off both ecms and then get onto Quickserve and see if the one supercedes the other. If so it's plug reflash and play. If not then you need to dig deeper and get the pin out for both ecms to make sure the terminals all do the same job, if not it will not interchange, if so you might be lucky and get it to work with a simple reflash. Last but not least, Chrysler dealers can not reflash used ecms unless the memory has first been erased and Cummins can not do anything with the 03+ found in the Dodges.

thankfully if you have a Smarty, Bob can help us guys out with stuff like that! :D

Back