Does your steering suck?

This is the route used in the kit I got:

Slip Shaft for Dodge Trucks

Holy crap that's pricey! I guess if you need to replace the entire shaft because of excessive wear I guess that's ok.

I am looking into obtaining only the 3rd gen end from Borgeson. That will allow you to cut off the old end and put the 3rd gen on with only two set screws.

Maybe something like this...
ujoints.jpg

Still got a little work to go....

Whatever you can/would do would be greatly appreciated.

I was ready to buy the $1200 kit from the guy on NW Bombers, but he doesn't have any left. I'm ready to tear this thing apart right now:D

Chris

Gotten many PM's about selling them, but I have to talk to my buddy.

IF we do end up making a bunch, I will be sure to contact you guys(site administration)and make everything legit. (No pricing or anything has been talked about at this point. Even in the 15+ PM's I have gotten)

Mike,

I used a new gear for an 05 2500.

There is a TSB that changes the use of purpose made power steering luid to ATF +4.

I used ATF +4 and have been using it for years. (With the old gear also)

I will keep you guys updated on what happens.

I would talk about it as well, this is a product that you could market very easily with sales almost assured. Keeping it legit is greatly appreciated :thankyou2:

Where did you come up with the bracket? Just something yall mocked up?

I have been struggling with crapy steering since I have owned these trucks. I have tried adjusting the 02 steering gear with no real success so I decided to try another route. I knew the problem was in the gear so I choose to get rid of it.

Also the new style 3rd gen gear is much less then our gears to replace.

We cut a frame corner off of a donor truck and started the fitting process. I first machined a chunk of plate as template and then it went on from there...

Ok, just wondering. I know, my dad has an 04 4x4 that drives great. Im JEALOUS!!! Maybe once I start work on my truck I'll add that to the list. Same pitman arm? I know I need the bottom half of the linkage to tie it to the box......

Ok, just wondering. I know, my dad has an 04 4x4 that drives great. Im JEALOUS!!! Maybe once I start work on my truck I'll add that to the list. Same pitman arm? I know I need the bottom half of the linkage to tie it to the box......

You need to use the 3rd gen stock pitman arm.

I m not sure what you mean by linkage? You can use your factory steering linkage.

I've been following the thread, and I'm really impressed. I would be very interested in purchasing a kit or even just the plate if you do decide to make them available.

I noticed you said a DSS steering stabilizer would not fit, but would a 3rd gen stabilizer fit?

I noticed you said a DSS steering stabilizer would not fit, but would a 3rd gen stabilizer fit?

I do not have access to a 3rd gen DSS, so I would have no way of measuring.

The new steering gear is so tight I can't imagine using it. Plus the pitman arm on the new one splines up the output shaft much more which I can only assume reduces the amount of leverage the linkage can exert on it.

This is what it looks like mounted.

CIMG1519.jpg

Ok, so the three smaller holes are where it bolts to the frame, the old set up. You used the orig holes right?

And the bigger holes are for the 3rd gen box. Your going to drill throught the frame right? Are you going to sleve them where they go through the frame?

Ok, so the three smaller holes are where it bolts to the frame, the old set up. You used the orig holes right?

And the bigger holes are for the 3rd gen box. Your going to drill throught the frame right? Are you going to sleve them where they go through the frame?

The picture is the plate being test fit to the frame.

You bolt the the new steering gear to the adapter plate with the tappered socket head flats and then bolt the gear with the plate just like you would install the original gear.

I am not trying to de-rail ya or any thing, this does seem like a good idea...but why not just a different box? I'm not sure what the ratio on a 3rd gen is but when I had my 02 I swapped in a box from a mid-90s Suburban. It's a direct bolt in, and the ratio is around 2.75 or a lil lower. It mad a HUGE difference in steering, it was cheaper than a Dodge box, and it bolted right in...

I havent seen a 3rd gen box yet so I dont know how it mounts, but from the pictures it looks like the holes just don't line up; could'nt you just re drill holes through the frame and run bolts through?

Also about the steering shaft; instead of cutting the 3rd gen end off and welding it to the 2nd gen shaft could you just use a 3rd gen shaft or is it alot different?

justinp20012500, what kinda of fluid you using in the 3rd gen steering gearbox? You using a new gearbox or a rebuilt unit?

I havent seen a 3rd gen box yet so I dont know how it mounts, but from the pictures it looks like the holes just don't line up; could'nt you just re drill holes through the frame and run bolts through?

Also about the steering shaft; instead of cutting the 3rd gen end off and welding it to the 2nd gen shaft could you just use a 3rd gen shaft or is it alot different?

You cant just drill and bolt, you need to sleeve the holes. Think about how much pressure is being put on that box. When my cousin and I did a SAS on his Dakota we spent an entire weekend getting stuff to line up and sleeves to fit. Its possible but look how close your bolt holes are form the 2nd gen to the 3rd gen. Not possible unless you like cutting and welding in small places overhead.

You cant just drill and bolt, you need to sleeve the holes. Think about how much pressure is being put on that box. When my cousin and I did a SAS on his Dakota we spent an entire weekend getting stuff to line up and sleeves to fit. Its possible but look how close your bolt holes are form the 2nd gen to the 3rd gen. Not possible unless you like cutting and welding in small places overhead.

Did'nt think about it being sleeved...and yes they are very close so I'd need to fill the old holes in before drilling new ones. Well I think I'll be making a plate, and tackling this project soon...I'll post some pictures when/if I get it finished.

I wouldn't care what the cost, as long as I can stand to drive this POS again. I've dropped god knows how much money on steering stabilizers, shocks, brackets, HD steering components and trackbars, only to have this thing drive worse than most of the antique tractors in my barn. What's another grand after 5 or 6 just to make the thing drive straight.

But please, more details if you would:D
Chris

^ x2! Ive put no tellin how much into my 12v and still drives like shi$! Ive been thinkin about sellin it ,but,it gets me from point a to point b when i break the 05!
100_0246.jpg

I love this truck,and get complements everytime i drive it,just wish i could get the front end right!

Dang that's a clean truck.

I'm like most people on here, I've invested tons of money in to my front end and it still drives like crap. I want/need a new box for sure.

Back