Ditching the intercooler

Chris, I can, actually, had you waited a fee minutes, I was going to thank you for a well related posting going through the scenario, yet you insist on jumping to butthurt.

Nevertheless, thanks for the decent reply.

Mark.

I'm far from butt hurt. This is the internet...it didn't cost me a dime to log on here, I can't get butt hurt.

I just saw that and replied...
Chris

IT"S NOT A RESTRICTION! Bigger intercooler is just more efficient at cooling the charge air. Early Cummins didn't have an intercooler because they only made a hundred HP!
Without it you'll blow your motor! Run the stocker till it blows or you buy a better one!

Ok so I went a little over the top with you'll blow it up. But I understand the concept of a 160hp motor to a 700hp truck.
It may not blow up immediately but damage will occur if temps get out of control!
The difference between a stock IC and my banks unit is 250 degrees which is a lot at 1200 degrees! So a motor needs an IC to live! That was my point not that it's gonna blow on start UP!
SO LETS ALL AGREE IC GOOD! NO IC FOR LOW HP MOTORS AND AGRICULTRAL EQUIPMENT WORKS FINE.
WHAT'S NEXT OH I GOT ONE WILL 3RD GEN AXLES FIT ON A 2ND GEN TRUCK AND WHAT MASTER CYLINDER IS NEEDED? :poke:

Ok so I went a little over the top with you'll blow it up. But I understand the concept of a 160hp motor to a 700hp truck.
It may not blow up immediately but damage will occur if temps get out of control!
The difference between a stock IC and my banks unit is 250 degrees which is a lot at 1200 degrees! So a motor needs an IC to live! That was my point not that it's gonna blow on start UP!
SO LETS ALL AGREE IC GOOD! NO IC FOR LOW HP MOTORS AND AGRICULTRAL EQUIPMENT WORKS FINE.
WHAT'S NEXT OH I GOT ONE WILL 3RD GEN AXLES FIT ON A 2ND GEN TRUCK AND WHAT MASTER CYLINDER IS NEEDED? :poke:

Now I agree with BRE...

With ANY engine, damage will occur if temps get out of control...aftercooled or not. Stop making blanket statements.
As has already been pointed out in this thread, people read this stuff and take it for truth...blanket statements are only true in their matching circumstances, not in every circumstance.

Chris

What the heck! I thought this thread went away and nobody cared.... haha must not have subscribed to my own thread.

So it's decided, the stock intercooler will stay.... for now!

Does anyone have data on inlet air Temps and what is tolerable before in-cylinder Temps are adversely affected?

I'm asking because 100° IAT seems to always be the magic number for emissions discussions, but it is rarely discussed in performance applications.
I think maybe corky Bell touched on it briefly but it's been a while, and I think the emphasis is always on density.
I could just be looking at it from the other end of the stick

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Does anyone have data on inlet air Temps and what is tolerable before in-cylinder Temps are adversely affected?

I'm asking because 100° IAT seems to always be the magic number for emissions discussions, but it is rarely discussed in performance applications.
I think maybe corky Bell touched on it briefly but it's been a while, and I think the emphasis is always on density.
I could just be looking at it from the other end of the stick

1000 cfm of air at sea level and ambient conditions weighs x. Now turbo charge that ambient air to say 14.7 psig in theory if the air was the same temp entering the intake manifold as ambient you just doubled the air density available to the engine and increased ability to produce power. But rarely is the air entering the manifold same as ambient which is why the higher the boost does not mean more power.

Things to keep in mind

AAD- ambient air density
BAD- boost air density
MAD- manifold air density

Intercooler is always a restriction, by the fact that on the other side of it boost is always down but density is always up. Air density is the key to horsepower.

But more psi on a restrictive head usually makes more even when your pushing the chargers to hard, hotter air and less dense. At least with my experience's.

1000 cfm of air at sea level and ambient conditions weighs x. Now turbo charge that ambient air to say 14.7 psig in theory if the air was the same temp entering the intake manifold as ambient you just doubled the air density available to the engine and increased ability to produce power. But rarely is the air entering the manifold same as ambient which is why the higher the boost does not mean more power.

Things to keep in mind

AAD- ambient air density
BAD- boost air density
MAD- manifold air density

Intercooler is always a restriction, by the fact that on the other side of it boost is always down but density is always up. Air density is the key to horsepower.
I agree and understand. I suppose what I want to know is too broad a topic.

Back