Hot Rod Diesel Fuel

John Robinson

What do the big boys use? Alchol blends, propoleyne oxide,nitro methane, biodiesel, While were on the topic, whats the type d running? I really dont expect the truth on this topic but I'll ask anyway. I feel there is a market for a racing diesel fuel. I would buy it if it were good & consistant, would you?

All I can really tell ya is smell....I was in their pit when they were filling the type-d up and it smelled like regular old diesel to me.....remember folks, the type-d is only about 650-700rwhp with no nitrous, no reason it can't be done on #2....

.....if it were me I'd try to blend in some nitro :evil:

RacinDuallie said:
propoleyne oxide=illegal for NHRA
I know the propoleyne oxide is very illlegal, I hear it will cause birth defects. Fact is, I herd that the late John Holmes was born next to one of the plants thats makes the stuff. LOL LOL LOL

I've got a lead on some new additive for diesel fuel, supposed to increase the cetane level up to unheard of racing fuel numbers.

The question of high egt levels brings concerns with the additive- testing will tell though on how much we can "tip the can" - and live......

John Robinson said:
I know the propoleyne oxide is very illlegal, I hear it will cause birth defects. Fact is, I herd that the late John Holmes was born next to one of the plants thats makes the stuff. LOL LOL LOL

My Wife wants to know where she can get some of that John? I keep asking what the little vile is for next to the bed.

All I will say is that a sample sent to me in the mail will evaporate through a plastic bottle. I had it analyzed, and let's say that what the pullers are using is a lot like a diesel / alcohol / xxxxxx / blend.

We run 100% bio with a proprietary additive from Blue Sun. We were giving it away at the Truckfest last year to all of the competitors. FREE!

Ok here is my question, what is most alchol you can add without sticking a p-pump? I would think aceatone would take all the lube out of the fuel. What about jet-A? that stuff is oily. I'm sure all this stuff has already been tryed. just loking to save some time & parts. There has to be alot to be gained from the fuel.

John Robinson said:
What about jet-A? that stuff is oily.

Jet A is not oily. It is far drier than #2 and has less BTU as well. you can run jet A if you add 2 stroke premix to it. I dont know what it will take to get the HFRR rating below 520, but I am sure it would be a little more than 1oz/gallon. If you could find a fuel/liquid that has more BTU than pure #2 and wont kill the HFRR you might be on to something.

most pullers (tractor) i know of run pure purple...and now that i say that i'm not even sure if it's called pure purple anymore because it comes in a different pale now and isn't purple like the old stuff was...i'll check at work and get the name of it but i think it is SXS or something similar to that

There is a lot in fuel, but its more involved then just dump in a little of this and a little of that of that.
Cetin enhancement is a critical factor in speeding up flame front propagation. This is critical in high rpm power.
Oxidation additives are a method of bringing extra oxygen to the combustion process and again speeding up the burn process

All in all it’s about burning all the fuel as quick as possible with out detonation. And if you don’t think you can detonate a diesel, think again.

There is a lot of research going on with additives and Dr. Performance will be soon releasing their new Nitro Flash Street and racing additives. Soon the entire diesel word will have what has been a guarded secret for the past few years. A 16 oz additive package will make some serious power on the dyno or on the track.

JQmile said:
All I can really tell ya is smell....I was in their pit when they were filling the type-d up and it smelled like regular old diesel to me.....remember folks, the type-d is only about 650-700rwhp with no nitrous, no reason it can't be done on #2....

.....if it were me I'd try to blend in some nitro :evil:

Let's see the type-d run after the fuel has been supplied by an independent third party. It would take draining the fuel system then adding the true #2 diesel fuel then sealing the tank and fuel system. There is a lot that can be done and it will still smell like diesel but in fact it is far from pump supplied #2! The fuel Shell supplied Audi for there race cars smells like diesel but when spilled onto the ground it disappears as fast as gasoline does.

Diesel Tech said:
Let's see the type-d run after the fuel has been supplied by an independent third party. It would take draining the fuel system then adding the true #2 diesel fuel then sealing the tank and fuel system. There is a lot that can be done and it will still smell like diesel but in fact it is far from pump supplied #2! The fuel Shell supplied Audi for there race cars smells like diesel but when spilled onto the ground it disappears as fast as gasoline does.

Wouldn't mind some of that at the local gas stations. These idiots with their first diesels seem to spill it everywhere, then you got the kitty little all over the ground and you can't help but track it back in your nice clean truck, smell and all.

How do you get detonation on a Diesel?

If the fuel burns so fast that pre-ignition is a problem, why not just retard the timing to the point where it isn't?

It's not like a fumigated engine where the fuel needs to be present throughout the entire compression stroke. The Diesel injects the fuel exactly when it wants to, plus a few degrees of advancement to compensate for flame propagation... If your fuel is burning too fast, I don't see what the problem would be with reducing the amount of advance? Easier said than done?

Back