Slipless Antifriction Clutch

If you proposed an idea that was outside the "norm", I would be more inclined to take note for the simple fact that your posts don't come off like some kid in his 1st semester at UTI just took a massive bong rip...

This, neversaid it was a good idea just said it "could" work

For all you nay sayers. If your not able to look outside the "norm" then you will just be "norm"

Steve Jobs didnt tell microsoft there idea was dump he went out and prove to all the computer would work his way. It didnt happen over night and either would this clutch put you have to start someplace

I have done a number of projects over the yrs that many said were "stuipd" or "wouldnt work" and guess what they did. Did they work the first time out NOPE but they did end up working.

This, neversaid it was a good idea just said it "could" work

For all you nay sayers. If your not able to look outside the "norm" then you will just be "norm"

Steve Jobs didnt tell microsoft there idea was dump he went out and prove to all the computer would work his way. It didnt happen over night

It still hasn't happened... so please pass me the meth.

As for thinking outside of the box... then why are you limiting your view to only the clutch, and not the end result? Direct Shift, Constant Velocity, hell might as well toss electric motors into the mix as well.

It still hasn't happened... so please pass me the meth.

As for thinking outside of the box... then why are you limiting your view to only the clutch, and not the end result? Direct Shift, Constant Velocity, hell might as well toss electric motors into the mix as well.

You dont think Apple has changed the computer world?

We arent talking about hybrid technogly we are talking about a slipless clutch.

If money was no object, and I had the time, along with the rules allowed it. You could build one mean hybrid sled puller where the elec. motor was used to get the wheels spinning then have the "clutch" take over.

The really question is how many people NEED this type of clutch, but I can also see where the clutch could be real handy when it comes to drag racing. Being able to see up clutch slip and engagment could go along way in keeping tire slip down.

Just look at the big guys drag racing, IIRC they dont fully lock the clutch up till they are past the 1/8th mile. Granted they are rebuidling them every race.

Mike

Do you really think they would allow a concocted hybrid engine in sled pulling?

How would this benefit DIESEL drag racing? The fastest manual currently is miles from the auto trucks.

These questions are rhetorical and I am not trying to be a smartazz but I see no benefit to either forms of competition.

As far as a daily driver goes I see no benefit seeing as how perfectly capable clutches exist already for less than half of the money.

Nobody here is against thinking outside of the box and we actually love that sort of thing here but a thread about a potential new product cannot exist if it is bound by a set of rules and random numbers in the first post with zero ideas on how you may go about it.

Honestly, there would be no way to keep the idea as simple as your current clutch designs, make it as reliable, or cost effective. There are a lot more negatives than positives given the fact all of the positives are completely hypothetical based on no realistic ideas and we are on page 2. If I started a thread stating "Hypothetically speaking what if I could create a 10,000 horsepower 12v cummins that is smoke free, made entirely of ceramic so oil wasn't required, zero maintenance, seemingly endless lifespan and had a single turbo on it?" what would everyone say? Of course it would sell. What does it matter if I have no idea how to do it.

I hate negative people, I love new ideas, and do not want to be a total dik to a new guy but until somebody has a feasible idea on how you can create such a unicorn I am not a believer.

Apple created a computer how they wanted it and it is not the same as anything microsoft based but both are similar. Most anybody can turn on either operating system and figure out how to use it within minutes. Not to mention apple created something cost effective for the home user to use. This is the opposite. We are discussing something astronomically different from your everyday clutch that would cost MORE than the proven clutches on the market. That is why people are resistant to it in this thread.

Aside the conversation at hand,

Nobody is going to pay a cent until they see the part in operation.

Every one CALM Down! This is exactly the type of responses I wanted. I never said I was going to build one... I never said I had an idea. You all assumed that much. However I am in the making of an out side the box clutch system. This product is by no means close to being completed. Ill follow up when I'm off work.

Do you really think they would allow a concocted hybrid engine in sled pulling?

How would this benefit DIESEL drag racing? The fastest manual currently is miles from the auto trucks.

These questions are rhetorical and I am not trying to be a smartazz but I see no benefit to either forms of competition.

As far as a daily driver goes I see no benefit seeing as how perfectly capable clutches exist already for less than half of the money.
Exactly, for something new to work, especially at double the cost it must offer some benefit, or solve some existing issue. A slipless, antifriction clutch does neither.
Every one CALM Down! This is exactly the type of responses I wanted. I never said I was going to build one... I never said I had an idea. You all assumed that much. However I am in the making of an out side the box clutch system. This product is by no means close to being completed. Ill follow up when I'm off work.
We know you aren't going to build one, and we know you have no idea how to build one.

If you're going to make something, you must understand how it works. Apparently WyoTech hasn't covered that yet.

Exactly, for something new to work, especially at double the cost it must offer some benefit, or solve some existing issue. A slipless, antifriction clutch does neither.
We know you aren't going to build one, and we know you have no idea how to build one.

If you're going to make something, you must understand how it works. Apparently WyoTech hasn't covered that yet.

HAHA, Im sorry if I have not updated my signature or "About Me" section. Obviously nobody here knows who I am but you have all seen my work before. While I am not going to describe my idea on a public forum. I will explain who I am and what my experiences are.
My name is Levi Aberle. co-founder of Aberle Offroad. My family owns and operates Rocky Mountain Mfg, Aberle Offroad, and Freedom Construction. Rocky Mountain Mfg is formally known as Aberle Industrial Mfg. and before that was A1-Pattern and Foundry. My Family for 3 generations has engineered and manufactured sophisticated parts and tooling for companies such as (some names you will recognize) Banks, ATS Diesel, Caterpillar, Boeing, just to name a few. from 2002-2009 we were the largest nonferrous foundry in Colorado.

HAHA, Im sorry if I have not updated my signature or "About Me" section. Obviously nobody here knows who I am but you have all seen my work before. While I am not going to describe my idea on a public forum. I will explain who I am and what my experiences are.
My name is Levi Aberle. co-founder of Aberle Offroad. My family owns and operates Rocky Mountain Mfg, Aberle Offroad, and Freedom Construction. Rocky Mountain Mfg is formally known as Aberle Industrial Mfg. and before that was A1-Pattern and Foundry. My Family for 3 generations has engineered and manufactured sophisticated parts and tooling for companies such as (some names you will recognize) Banks, ATS Diesel, Caterpillar, Boeing, just to name a few. from 2002-2009 we were the largest nonferrous foundry in Colorado.

You guys make or used to make the turbo compressor housings for ATS?

You guys make or used to make the turbo compressor housings for ATS?
Made the castings, tooling, and machined them for years also made their trannie pans, diff covers, cp3 brackets, arc flows, exc... My dad did the same thing for banks years ago.

Yeah I know who you are now. I'm just down the street from you. That is of course if your still on Van Gordon

Last edited:
How do you plan to accomplish something like this? I can say "how much would you pay for a pet unicorn?" but it if I have no idea how I might get a unicorn how does one put a price on it?

The only way I could see this being accomplished would be an overly aggressive clutch with some sort of soft dampening springs to absorb some of the shock once engaged.

One does have to ask the question of why?

There will still be parts to fail (ie. said dampening springs) and when do you justify paying the said $4000 on a clutch when a nearly indestructible clutch can be had for half of that? If it is a moderate hp daily driver you can buy a double disc and not worry for years. If it is a puller or competition truck you want the clutch to slip or you will play hell getting spooled if your option is free rev or fully engaged.

We've got a D41 Komatsu(Dozer) that uses a 'dampener'. From a dead stop you can put it in first gear and it has dampening springs that engage it relatively slowly until it gets going a bit then it locks down.

I was once working on a magnetic clutch. Had the flywheel wound and turned it into a magnet. Sensors on the side of the flywheel and connecter mounted on the bell housing with a switch connected to the clutch pedal. Had to insolate the crank surface and crank bolts as to not affect the crank. Doing this would allow for a no effort pressure plate so the clutch plate load would be up to how powerful you make your magnet. Run with that...:)

Peter

Back