BE AWARE: 2009 Steering Upgrade Kit...FAIL!

Just this week, my Dad experienced breakage on the right side AT HIGHWAY SPEED !! PULLING A TRAILER.

He had been to the dealer earlier due to a recall and they said it was fine.

07' 2500 5.9. 2500. 147,000. He's lucky, we are lucky, and so is Chrysler. For now.
He said he heard/felt a bang then it was like he ran over something. He coasted to a driveway and pulled off to the right. Got out to find the ball joint busted. Scratched his head tying to figure out how the fukk he got it off the road.
We hauled it back here and fixed it with a NAPA arm, but I don't think we are done with Chrysler. Bull****. They looked at it, and said run it. We will investigate.

WOW. Glad he's alright!! I feel somehow connect to your father after the way he was hitting on my wife!!!!

I have been running my thuren steering bars since fall of 09 daily driving it and have not had any issues with it.

Thurens crossover steering for almost a 100k and its still as tight and aligned as the day I installed it.

I had this DS ball joint pop pn my 06 on an S curve in the middle of town doing about 25-30(tight curves). went left and then made the move to go right and the truck went straight and it was a bit icey. THANK GOD noone was coming in the other direction at that time! pretty sure i crapped my pants a little.
Had just dropped off the ex old ladys son at his dads so im really glad he wasnt in there either!
The only plus was the header i got in the parking lot waiting for the tow truck...... she was a good lady

So I just dropped 550 ish on this upgrade and they hadn't updated the defective components? Explains the clunk i've had since i installed the kit.

This is an issue that is happening alot with the 08.5+ upgraded steering kit

TRE failure for some reason

Did Thuren come out with a new steering kit yet? The old version required drilling out the knuckles......new kit was supposed to eliminate any drilling

Honestly, I would rather drill out the knuckles....Thuren's kit has proven itself to be much better than any ball joint!

Chris

After I installed the 2008 upgraded t-bar linkage I bought this kit, minus the lower ball joints, waited 4 months on those they couldn't get them to me.

Dodge_Front_Rebuild.jpg

For the lower ball joints I went with the XRF stuff after hearing nothing but good about them:

http://www.xrfchassis.com/parts-balljoints.htm

While we did the ball joints I also renewed the universals with stock mopar units.

Also replaced the stock steering stabilzer with a bilstien and the two front ride shocks as well with bilstiens.

And added a Darrien steering stabilizer as well,

45261_422352682026_7806387026_5266055_157099_n.jpg

40235_422352702026_7806387026_5266058_7973217_n.jpg

39880_422352707026_7806387026_5266059_6349336_n.jpg

Ride is real nice for now :)

If I have any issues I may go with the thuren unit

I think Dodge needs a few lawsuits on their hands to maybe shape up and start putting on some quality parts with grease nipples. Nobody has had good luck with those front ends, they always have to cut corners somewhere

If one broke like that on a truck that new it would be Logan's big f#ckin truck company from then on...

I had a upper ball joint socket let go on my 90 2wd at 70 mph towing a trailer with a wrecked trailblazer on it...Talk about fun driving up Rt. 68/62 from I-75 in Lexington KY to Hillsboro OH...

Back