Index Racing ... Fact vs. Fiction

Dockboy

Comps BFF
As many of you know, I have been lobbying for years that we in diesel racing should move to Index classes to promote and include more racer participation in order to help the sport grow. Once there is enough participation, we can go ahead and make some “specialized” classes. But until then, making more classes for all the various “type” of trucks is only hurting us.

Every time I bring Index racing up, I’m met with the same arguments. Mostly from people who are uneducated in exactly what Index racing is all about. “I want to run heads up”, “I don’t want to bracket race” , “I don’t want to slow down” and so on. So let’s go through the in’s and out’s of Index racing and dispel a little of the fiction and present the facts.

First, let me lay out how I would propose the classes…

Sportsman ET:
.500 Sportsman tree, Dial in bracket racing, 12.00/7.70 minimum dial

11.50/7.30 Index:
.500 Pro tree, Foot brake only, No tire limitation, 4900 lb. min., Must meet NHRA safety req. for ET & speed

10.00/6.30 Index:
.500 Pro tree, 2 step or transbrake permitted, No tire limitation, 4900 lb. min., Must meet NHRA safety req. for ET & speed

8.50/5.30 Index:
.500 Pro tree, 2 step or transbrake permitted, No tire limitation, 4900 lb. min., Must meet NHRA safety req. for ET & speed

Top Diesel:
.500 Pro tree, heads up, 4900 lb max., Must meet NHRA safety req. for ET & speed

Now, a little Fact vs. Fiction

Fiction:
“I don’t want to bracket race, I want to run all out heads up”
FACT:
Index racing is heads up!! Both competitors leave at the same time! First one to the line wins. You just can’t run faster than your installed safety equipment allows they way the classes are.

Fiction:
“Index racing will make people slow down”
FACT:
Only if the person chooses to do so!! The way the classes are laid out, a person can run as fast as their safety equipment allows if they choose the proper class.

Fiction:
“I can’t run the Index number so I can’t race”
FACT:
Not everyone in the class will be running 10.00 for example. It will make for tight racing pitting similar et vehicles together which is the point.

Ultimately, it would not affect any of the current people who race at all. It would however allow ANYONE who showed up a place to race. They would not be prohibited because they had the wrong tire, their fuel tank was not in the right place, their turbo was too big, and so on. They could also pick a class where anyone there would have a shot and everyone could be competitive.

Discuss!!

IMHO Greg, there's a whole area between ET and the 11.5 that's being left out and it would affect many.

I don't care to run ET and 11.5 is a bit too fast for my truck. It could probably do it but that's pushing it. There's a lot of trucks out there the "12.0" classes is perfect for. No, I don't necessarily have a "race" truck and many others don't either that are capable of 12's or high 11's.

The 12.0 classes worked for years and some of the best drivers, including yourself ran it. Why the need to change it now ? If anything, the 11.9 index NHRDA has would be better than 11.5.... for trucks like mine anyway.

Isn't index racing different from bracket racing?

Fwiw, I love bracket racing. 1st time I drag raced outside of a T&T, I won 3rd outta 20 something.

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

Classes

I agree with the 12.00/11.90 class. There is far to many trucks running the class with very good drivers. It's on of the toughest classes to win in. Jeff

I agree with the 11.90/12.0 starting point, maybe even a slower start. I know a lot of racers hate to wait at the lights for the 15 sec trucks! I use to be one of those guys, personally is does not matter to me. I don't have a problem waiting at the light! but there weren't enough to keep the class in NHRDA so they eliminated it? So maybe a slower indexed class? Something to ponder! but the 11.90 and 12.0 need to be the starting point for the index. 11.50 is the break point for the cages, and a lot of the street trucks don't want the cages. I for one!!!

I agree with those classes Greg 100%. To many people want to keep making a new class to benefit there truck and im sure you know this as well as I do Greg there are far to many trucks sitting in the parking lot instead of coming in and trying out dragracing. Those that you listed are pretty cut and dry and fair, if the truck weighs 5500lbs and can go 11.50 or the other truck weighs 8000lbs and can go 11.50, 11.50 is 11.50 run em. I moved out of 12.0 class for the reason Jeff stated, far to many trucks in the class with pretty decent drivers. 11.50 would suit me perfect and with nitrous I could always jump in the 10.0 class and have some fun. Its up to the owner of the truck how much weight he wants to shed instead of being obligated to hack up his truck to make a 6k lb weight or etc.

I would be for these changes, it would help diesel racing more than people think. But can't we make an 11.95 class instead of 11.90 so I'll have a better chance of winning? *bdh*

I agree with all of that except the weight parameters. I understand the maximum weight for top diesel, but I think weight shouldn't be a factor for the other classes. If that's as fast as a 4000lb truck is then what does it matter? And for the record I love both index and bracket racing. :D

I love racing, period. If you've seen me at the races, I'm the DA that signs up for every class they'll let me in and go round and round like a kid with a new christmas present.

I love the idea of heads up built to spec, I love the idea of 11.50, if they have both at the same event, I'll probably race both.

Whatever it takes to promote the sport, I'm game, bring the trucks out of the pits and into the staging lanes!

I love racing. Run ur truck where it fits in and have a blast. If ur junk is too slow for the index classes put it in bracket plain and simple

Fat fingered from my dumb phone using tapatalk

That would work but I would like to see a .400 tree in all classes. Then we can see who can drive. Jeff

Jeff,

I thought a .500 tree to bring red lights into effect. A good driver can red light a .500 tree. But I think your right, the .400 tree would give the good driver a better advantage over the 1 sec. spoolers!!

I like the classes but also agree with the weight limits, If a guy has a swap in a car but its only a 12 second car he is automatically stuck in top diesel seems kinda silly to me.

IMHO Greg, there's a whole area between ET and the 11.5 that's being left out and it would affect many.

I don't care to run ET and 11.5 is a bit too fast for my truck. It could probably do it but that's pushing it. There's a lot of trucks out there the "12.0" classes is perfect for. No, I don't necessarily have a "race" truck and many others don't either that are capable of 12's or high 11's.

The 12.0 classes worked for years and some of the best drivers, including yourself ran it. Why the need to change it now ? If anything, the 11.9 index NHRDA has would be better than 11.5.... for trucks like mine anyway.

I agree with the 12.00/11.90 class. There is far to many trucks running the class with very good drivers. It's on of the toughest classes to win in. Jeff

I agree with the 11.90/12.0 starting point, maybe even a slower start. I know a lot of racers hate to wait at the lights for the 15 sec trucks! I use to be one of those guys, personally is does not matter to me. I don't have a problem waiting at the light! but there weren't enough to keep the class in NHRDA so they eliminated it? So maybe a slower indexed class? Something to ponder! but the 11.90 and 12.0 need to be the starting point for the index. 11.50 is the break point for the cages, and a lot of the street trucks don't want the cages. I for one!!!

11.50 would allow ANY street truck out there to enter!!

You don't need a roll bar or cage to run an 11.50 Index.

Back