Index Racing ... Fact vs. Fiction

Where would I add 500 lbs. to my truck lol. These weight limitations always get me...

If it wasn't for some kind of weight limitation's I guarantee that I would weigh in a whole lot less than you did. There has to be limitations or you would have a 9000lb truck and one that weighed 2800lbs in the same class. I don't see your point.

If it wasn't for some kind of weight limitation's I guarantee that I would weigh in a whole lot less than you did. There has to be limitations or you would have a 9000lb truck and one that weighed 2800lbs in the same class. I don't see your point.

I think it's the same point I was trying to make. What does it matter if a 9000lb truck is racing a 2800lb vehicle if they run the same times approximately? If they're running the same times, they're running the same times. I don't see where the weight matters. Just two different ways to come to the same spot.

I think it's the same point I was trying to make. What does it matter if a 9000lb truck is racing a 2800lb vehicle if they run the same times approximately? If they're running the same times, they're running the same times. I don't see where the weight matters. Just two different ways to come to the same spot.

:cheer::cheer::clap:

I was just gonna say lower the 8.50 to 4500 atleast. My truck always kinda puts me in a pickle with the weight min's, its 4300#'s with me in it so an extra 600 more can really play havoc with how it drive, launches etc. The more I put in it the scarier it gets. Doesnt have to be a tube frame to get down to 4500, also trucks out there like deranged and cars like the Vette that will be much lighter as well that wont have a place but are still full frame.

Other then that it seems ok to me.

I think this is a great idea. The only thing Id change is the weight. Like Ryan said, drop to 4500.

I was referring to what we run now Danny. Your right if we are index racing, but you are very wrong if we are talking current Pro Street rules. Every time someone mentions index racing the discussion usually goes to hell pretty quick. Most people don't like changes though! I'm trying a different type of type of racing that heavily involves most trucks on the street and I'm getting kicked in the nuts for trying something different. I'm all for racing, doesn't really what restrictions we have. Just saying.

Racing

If it goes to index racing I also think that weight should not matter. If the run the number then it doesn't matter how they get there. Jeff

Loose the weight restriction's all together in the index classes, and just have "no tube chassis".

That way guys with unique setups that run frames (rangers, corvette's, s10's ect...) still have a category that is based closer on the vehicles ability, then just to throw them under the bus and make them all run top diesel against dedicated drag setups.

I know of a model A rat rod, with a 6bt. It has a full frame, it is maybe 2800lbs, but I doubt it would run much quicker then 11.90's and the owner has no interest in building a cage for it, or making it any quicker. However I am sure he will come out to at least some local events with it. I'm sure he would have no problems running beside Gord's Smokin' Gun @ 15,000lbs? In fact it would probably be a decent index race. To me the whole point of index, is so you can "run what ya brung" as long as it meets safety rules for that class.

Last edited:
11.50 would allow ANY street truck out there to enter!!

You don't need a roll bar or cage to run an 11.50 Index.

If u break out your kicked out. need a little buffer in there! IMHO

Loose the weight restriction's all together in the index classes, and just have "no tube chassis".

That way guys with unique setups that run frames (rangers, corvette's, s10's ect...) still have a category that is based closer on the vehicles ability, then just to throw them under the bus and make them all run top diesel against dedicated drag setups.

I know of a model A rat rod, with a 6bt. It has a full frame, it is maybe 2800lbs, but I doubt it would run much quicker then 11.90's and the owner has no interest in building a cage for it, or making it any quicker. However I am sure he will come out to at least some local events with it. I'm sure he would have no problems running beside Gord's Smokin' Gun @ 15,000lbs? In fact it would probably be a decent index race. To me the whole point of index, is so you can "run what ya brung" as long as it meets safety rules for that class.

Agreed!

.400 pro tree, would suck for the good racers to have to slow reactions down.

No weight restrictions.

I can live with 10.0 and trying to be a better racer rather than having a better truck.

Last edited:
.400 pro tree, would suck for the good racers to have to slow reactions down.

No weight restrictions.

I can live with 10.0 and trying to be a better racer rather than having a better truck.
I agree with the above. Make it 0.400 pro tree and do away with weight restrictions. Who cares if something is tube chassis or not, it's an index class.

That is not true. I will post the comments from a nhra sanctioned track owner regarding this in a bit

An owner is one thing, but get something in writing from a national NHRA official! One of the reasons for the .90 classes is that they wanted them to be below the cut-off like 9.99, specifically so you don't have the safety equipment issue in the event of a breakout. Not sure if they still do it this way, but my local tracks were always giving warnings for running below a given barrier. I had an 11 second street car back when the rollbar rule was 11.99. I would dial it 12.00 and fender race, and there would always be a nasty note on my time slip if I broke out. However, they always let me come back the next week! They did pull me aside more than once and try to talk me into putting a rollbar in it (which I eventually did). Ironically I put the rollbar in when they came up with an 11.90 index class!

BTW - will deep staging be allowed?

Our local NHRA track will give one warning, then you are off the track no exceptions.

I don't mind tracks enforcing the rules.

I agree with all of that except the weight parameters. I understand the maximum weight for top diesel, but I think weight shouldn't be a factor for the other classes. If that's as fast as a 4000lb truck is then what does it matter? And for the record I love both index and bracket racing. :D

Totally agree with this, the weight limits make no sense in index racing. Also I agree, the .4 tree would be better. Especially for the really good protree racers. But I see Greg's point about potentially red lighting with a .5 sec tree. I usually cut right around a .1 on the .4 tree, .5 would be spot on for me.:D
I also don't understand what's wrong with tube chassis racing regular street trucks. The index will control what happens.

Last edited:
but there weren't enough to keep the class in NHRDA so they eliminated it?
We didnt eliminate it unless u got a memo that i didnt.......its right in our classes and rules still and is listex on the flyer for our season opener in Phoenix.

IdahoRob;1683791 I can live with 10.0 and trying to be a better racer rather than having a better truck.[/quote said:
Quote of the day right there. I think multiple index classes would spark more interest and provide more competitive (close races) classes. Case in point, in the later rounds the 12.0 index is usually won at the tree.

Last edited:
Back