Upgraded 12v rebuilt Running Cold

Rambler16

I just rebuild my motor and I can't get it to warm up, I replaced the thermostat and before you say the gauge is bad... It's even just warm to the touch even after driving almost 200 miles today.

At idle or around town it climes to 165 but after driving on the highway for 5 mins it will drop down to the line 140 and stay.

I wonder if I overbuilt the cooling system?? But it drives amazing!

Engine was bored .020 over
370 marine cam
155 Mahle pistons
Thicker gasket & studs
7x105 DAP inj
HE351 turbo ported
Fluidamper
Bigger fuel lines all the way through

Pump has; 4k gov springs
60lb valve springs
Benched to flow 400 Stock DVs

Also it has all custom tig welded aluminum Interooler piping and a 5in aluminum intake

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open. Did you use a cummins thermostat? Do you have a coolant bypass?

Where you live?

My 12v (original build) will run at around 150 via gauge all day on highway if it's cold enough.

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open. Did you use a cummins thermostat? Do you have a coolant bypass?

Just the correct one from NAPA auto, actually I don't think it's even opened yet. When we filled it with fluid and started it it should suck that into the engine then add more, but I haven't had to add any. The top radiator hose is fully pressurized but the bottom feels empty, no pressure.

The Stat won't fit in there backwards the last time I checked. Cummins Stat is the only Stat I would ever consider running.. merica

I'm definitely not complaining, can't wait to break it in and tow heavy.. But I'm only getting about 14mpg right now and I'm wondering if it's because the engine isn't at proper operating temp.

it'l go in backwards....

end up running cold when driving... soon as u park it and idle it gets hot...

seen it more then once

Back