TDI reliability and repair costs

yjay

I am considering buying a 5 to 10 year old Jetta or Passat with probably a manual. Do they have any inherent issues? Are repair costs high? Injectors and pumps expensive if they go?

My 02 Golf TDI that I bought over seven years ago with only 65,000 miles, and now has 112,000 miles has been VERY reliable. Especially for my reputation for breaking stuff.

They do have their quirks though. I spent a good bit of money replacing parts trying to find out why it was going into limp mode. But that was because I did not have the knowledge I needed to correctly diagnose the problem. When I finally found AARodriguez at http://www.fixmyvw.com , I finally found the issue.

For the simplicity and reliability I would stick with the ALH motors. I think they're 99-03.

I also ending up modding it with a turbo, injectors, tune, clutch, & a few other things. It has been rock solid even at almost double the HP it had.

Last edited:
I too like the ALH, however I never had anything newer either. ALH has the same emission issues any diesel has except for DPF. If the EGR is present expect the intake track to be choked off. When the intake is choked off the turbo tends to over speed until you need a new turbo.

Intake462.jpg

02%20ALH%20Jetta%20Blown%20Turbo%20013.jpg

02%20ALH%20Jetta%20Blown%20Turbo%20001.jpg

Last edited:
I too like the ALH, however I never had anything newer either. ALH has the same emission issues any diesel has except for DPF. If the EGR is present expect the intake track to be choked off. When the intake is choked off the turbo tends to over speed until you need a new turbo.

Intake462.jpg

02%20ALH%20Jetta%20Blown%20Turbo%20013.jpg

02%20ALH%20Jetta%20Blown%20Turbo%20001.jpg

How long ago was this?

tdiclub.com for the knowledge. I had an 04, loved the fuel mileage and hated the seats.

That was an 02 Jetta. Racking my brain to recall how many miles were on it. Pretty confident it was around 100k give or take 10K. I have not had the car in a very long time. I told the next owner to let me know if he ever has any issues with it, and never heard a thing (take that for what it is worth).

Mine had 300k before it came out of the car. Turbo pushed oil bad, still got 60mpg. Biggest thing is to get a copy of vcds/vagcom. That will make life so much easier.

Autos have issues with solenoids, but it's an easy fix.
Turbos are vane driven, so need cleaned with every timing belt service.
Egr will plug an intake solid. delete it.

I love this thread. In for info as I am in the market. My 85 jetta was a complete pile of chit but I put zero dollars into it and it got me everywhere.

Best thing I did was the EGR delete, performance turbo, and performance tuning. Front wheel bearings can be a challenge. Seems like some guys get lots of miles, others not so much.

Frankly nothing was that cheap to repair. Specialty tools to change timing belt, vag com to talk to the damn thing, etc. Good news is I sold all of that specialty stuff for 95% of what I paid new. I liked the car overall. Just a different animal to maintain.

Last edited:
Best thing I did was the EGR delete, performance turbo, and performance tuning. Front wheel bearings can be a challenge. Seems like some guys get lots of miles, others not so much.

Frankly nothing was that cheap to repair. Specialty tools to change timing belt, vag com to talk to the damn thing, etc. Good news is I sold all of that specialty stuff for 95% of what I paid new. I liked the car overall. Just a different animal to maintain.

I did do a timing belt when i first purchased my 85 for peace of mind and I will say that was the most frustrating thing I have ever done to anything tractor or truck related. After that i barely glanced at the engine though.

I would be cool with modding it for sure if it equaled reliability and power. I may intertain the idea of a pre tdi if they are a lot cheaper to maintain/mod.

Egr and tune are definitely a must.

Timing belt can be done very easily without the tools. Vcds is 100 bucks for the legit version, 20-70 for pirated. If you have a press and spindle spreader, wheel bearings should be about 30 minutes a side, just don't go cheap with them. Parts are cheap online, never go to the dealer. Never replace the ridiculous stretch bolts either, biggest gimmick I've ever seen, just reuse or swap in regular bolts.

*my experience/opinion*

I haven't had mine long enough to give any real opinions. I'll say they are fun to drive. I find Myself speeding way to often, it's low and quite. A/C is very good. My first full tank I managed 46.7 second tank was 48.6. My commute is about 50 miles one way, half freeway half surface streets. I do have a cheap oil catch can plumbed into my pvc system that I hope is stopping most of the oil vapors from getting into the intake, my egr no longer functions thanks to Malone.

I read that the 99-03 are the most robust. The 04+ have cam problems at the 160K~ Mark. They offer aftermarket camshaft that has a better profile and is more hardened that more or less gets rid of the issue.
I will say the back seat doesn't offer much leg room. Our kids are 9&11 they fit but not much leg room. My wife has to scoot her seat up a couple of clicks for our daughter.

If I had my druthers, I'd get an older mechanical Jetta or a Mercedes 300 wagon, but it's for the wife. She has been driving a 1999 Avalon with no complaints that will soon be going to one of my kids. I'd like to get her something newer, like a 2010 or newer for being a good sport about the fossil she's been driving. Any thoughts on those?

I have a 2011 Jetta with 120K on it. All I have done is the recommended maintenance and have had 0 issues.

I have a 2011 Jetta as well with 65k miles. I haven't had any issues with it other than a CEL once in a while, until now. I took it to the dealer for an inspection and oil change. It's been 7 weeks now that they have had it. At least they have given me a loaner car. Too bad it's not a TDI though. They replaced my DPF, yet still can't get it to pass. It seems like they have no clue. They even asked me this week if I would like to pick it up even though it's not fixed. At first I told them no, just fix the damn car. Now I'm thinking I should just go get it and take it elsewhere.

I daily a 2013 Volkswagen golf tdi that I deleted and tuned on 2/2/15 with 17,000 miles on it. It now has 35,000 miles on it and enjoy the extra power that it has now. I add additive every fill up hoping to lube the pump. Have to perform a DSG flush coming up on 40k.

I daily a 2013 Volkswagen golf tdi that I deleted and tuned on 2/2/15 with 17,000 miles on it. It now has 35,000 miles on it and enjoy the extra power that it has now. I add additive every fill up hoping to lube the pump. Have to perform a DSG flush coming up on 40k.

What kind of mileage are you getting with deleted and tuned?

42-46 driving it hard, but that is alot of stop and go traffic (5-15mph for 40 minutes) that I have to deal with leaving downtown Chicago. I have not taken it on a road trip yet but I'm sure it would be over 50.

I need to drive easy one tank and see what I can get, but the torque that pulls you through the corners is quite fun.

Back