TDI reliability and repair costs

Just put an MAF in mine today, nice improvement. Hope the mileage comes up because I can feel the torque it lost.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I have a 2011 Jetta as well with 65k miles. I haven't had any issues with it other than a CEL once in a while, until now. I took it to the dealer for an inspection and oil change. It's been 7 weeks now that they have had it. At least they have given me a loaner car. Too bad it's not a TDI though. They replaced my DPF, yet still can't get it to pass. It seems like they have no clue. They even asked me this week if I would like to pick it up even though it's not fixed. At first I told them no, just fix the damn car. Now I'm thinking I should just go get it and take it elsewhere.

So now it's been 8 weeks that they've had it. Now they want to replace all of the glow plugs and the glow plug harness because it it still won't pass inspection, yet it is not covered the emission warranty. WTF??? I opened a case with VW customer care to figure out what's going on. When I speak to them today, I will suggest that maybe it is my so called defeat device that's giving me problems. Lol

After looking for a couple of weeks I ended up just buying a fricken honda gasser. $600 for a clean car with new tires that will need next to nothing vs $1500 or more for a ragged out diesel vw that is triple the money to work on.

The positives of a diesel car are outweighed too heavily by gas cars for me as much as I would love to justify one.

It may creep back up some, but I would GUESS that it will dip much lower once numbers are released as to the fine amount and estimated cost to fulfill the recall and satisfy class action suits against VW. I certainly would not but yet if ever... Between the financial hit from the fines, lawsuits and recall repairs combined with the hit to VWs reputation and credibility they really could pull out of the US market, and likely will take years to get back to current levels if they stay here. Additionally if it is found that they are cheating on the European tests too, they well could be done all together...

Pure speculation on my part, but it certainly does not look good for VW for the near term future... They are also rumored to be buying Red Bull F1 Team and in light of the current "situation" that could be viewed as irresponsible and further hurt the value and reputation of the company and its stock...

It may creep back up some, but I would GUESS that it will dip much lower once numbers are released as to the fine amount and estimated cost to fulfill the recall and satisfy class action suits against VW. I certainly would not but yet if ever... Between the financial hit from the fines, lawsuits and recall repairs combined with the hit to VWs reputation and credibility they really could pull out of the US market, and likely will take years to get back to current levels if they stay here. Additionally if it is found that they are cheating on the European tests too, they well could be done all together...

Pure speculation on my part, but it certainly does not look good for VW for the near term future... They are also rumored to be buying Red Bull F1 Team and in light of the current "situation" that could be viewed as irresponsible and further hurt the value and reputation of the company and its stock...

Oh there is no way I'll jump on it this early. Still need to let the rest of the fallout to occur so it can bottom out. After that I'll see the moment I want to get in on it. I don't expect this to be a massive set back for the company. Lot's of other products contributing to the bottom line.

Well, judging from all the weird quirks with cams, and little stuff that is expensive to fix, and the recall, the old Mercedes is sounding better and better.

Back