12v Fan Support/Hub

Tobin

5.7 IDI Powaa!
Anyone run a fan support/hub that moves the stock mechanical fan up a couple inches in their swaps? From my searching on the interwebs, looks like the Dodge one is the only one that has 6 bolts and has a threaded fan hub. I really would like to be able to move my fan up a couple inches if possible.

Not sure what you mean by "up", I'd call it forward or backward.

If backward, ditch the clutch and use an adapter and aluminum fan. Have done two swaps this way. Fan blades 1/2" from the balancer.

Not sure what you mean by "up", I'd call it forward or backward.

If backward, ditch the clutch and use an adapter and aluminum fan. Have done two swaps this way. Fan blades 1/2" from the balancer.

Up as in straight up from where it is now, closer to the top of the engine.

Some bigger trucks and stationary equipment move them up.
The thing about many of the fan hubs, is that they use the same standard bearing, so you can swap the center 6 bolt "spindle" from a Dodge app into a non-dodge app.

Mark.

There is 11.5, 13.5, 15.5, and 17.5" from the center of the crank to the center of the fan available, along with some others that I don't know off the top of my head.

Thanks, this is good information. Do they all keep the fan at the same offset (pulleys in line) as the stock Dodge if I swap bearings around? This would be a great option.

The 1st Gen Fan Support mounts the fan higher. I'm not sure on current Cummins availabilty. You'll need to find a used one or check with Jeff at Mumau (Snedge).

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5.9 fAN hUB.jpg
    5.9 fAN hUB.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 0
All the ones I mentioned are inline, 0.0 horizontal offset. As Mark stated several use the same bearing, so the center hub can be swapped, but a few use a water pump style bearing.

The 1992 pictured above is 9.5" and the 1995 is a 8" with about a 2" horizontal offset.

Ok, so if I use the 11.5" center of crank to center of fan support one (would work best), I would need to space the fan out about 2" horizontally or will swapping the Doge bearing in the Cummins support take care of that?

I know where I can rob a 1st gen mount, that will work better than the 2nd gen. I'll test fit that one first.

Ok, so if I use the 11.5" center of crank to center of fan support one (would work best), I would need to space the fan out about 2" horizontally or will swapping the Doge bearing in the Cummins support take care of that?

I know where I can rob a 1st gen mount, that will work better than the 2nd gen. I'll test fit that one first.

There is a standard 11.5, and a HD 11.5. The HD uses the same bearing as the Dodge so the hub can be swapped and belt alignment will be good. The horizontal offset I mentioned shifts the fan the drivers side, not forward.

The 11.5 bolts to the 4 bolts on the front of the head, rather than the front of the block like most.

There are 2 places they will mount on the truck mounts, one on the block, one on the head...pattern is the same...What I don't remember is which one is factory on a Dodge.

Chris

Unfortunately the pattern on the head and the block isn't the same. The head is a square and the block is a triangle shape mount. Would work perfect through it they were the same.

I would rather mount on the block, but the head is okay if I have to mount it there. Gets close to the coolant hose.

There is a standard 11.5, and a HD 11.5. The HD uses the same bearing as the Dodge so the hub can be swapped and belt alignment will be good. The horizontal offset I mentioned shifts the fan the drivers side, not forward.

The 11.5 bolts to the 4 bolts on the front of the head, rather than the front of the block like most.

Do you have a part number for the 11.5 HD?

Unfortunately the pattern on the head and the block isn't the same. The head is a square and the block is a triangle shape mount.

Correct. The Cummins drawing I posted above is incorrect on where the support bolts up on the '92.

Look up like a 3909888 from a 4b

That one bolts to the head with the "square" bolt pattern.

3913433. There's several on eBay right now for a good deal.

Also bolts to the head.

I just looked at a 89/92 non IC Dodge motor and it had the same support as my 97 P-pump motor.

Those two (3909888 and 3913433) look pretty similar according to my Google picture search. I'll see if the local Cummins dealer has any in stock to at least take a look at in person.

This is the standard 11.5 and uses a water pump style bearing with a 50mm 4 bolt pattern fan mounting hub.

So I want the 3913433 11.5HD so it takes the Dodge size bearing that I can swap in there with the 6 bolt threaded hub?

Back