HotRodDiesel Truck -Why it would not start and ran like chit!

ramctd

AKA RamWheelsBy4
Michael from Hot Rod Diesels called this morning and wanted to know if I would like to come down and bust some knuckles and get dirty. He finally got time to work on his race truck.

We pulled the engine and then the head. Number six is toast, all but number five had some melting around the bowl. Considering the beating it took, could have been worse. :bang

Michael was making the parts list for the rebuild when I left. :woohoo:

12_14_02_10_10_00_16_3.jpeg

Number Six:
12_14_02_10_10_00_15_0.jpeg

12_14_02_10_10_00_15_1.jpeg

Number Two:

12_14_02_10_10_00_16_2.jpeg

Last edited:
What beat on that piston? The other is from really high EGT's, almost normal!

Jim

I should have taken a picture of the valves. They did not look like they touched the piston at all. The piston is shredded like and small flakes of aluminum all over. The valves were not marked at all.

So like the piston ate it's self, change the pistons with ones that have the edges machined off.......90's gasser stuff, open the clearances piston to cyl wall, either tighten the spray pattern on the injector or drop it further down in the bore.

Jim

So like the piston ate it's self, change the pistons with ones that have the edges machined off.......90's gasser stuff, open the clearances piston to cyl wall, either tighten the spray pattern on the injector or drop it further down in the bore.

Jim

Well that's just my novice observations. I am sure Michael has a plan in mind for the rebuild. I just make a good gopher. LOL

His truck always seemed to run really clean down the track. Was he running to much N20 and not enough fuel?

We blew an intercooler boot up in Dallas. Didn't have a replacement.
Figured what the "blank" lets duct/electrical tape it up and run the "blank"
It ran a 10.36, what I didn't know was the boot opened up and was leaking badly. About a 2" hole in the boot.

No big deal, it's only money.
I hear Snedge needs more money for his "project" :hehe:

We are going back with the same combo, it worked quite well.
The piston to wall was very loose (too loose). I plan on closing it up some.
That was the 13mm pump with the plate full back killing all the fuel I could.
I plan on going back to the 12mm pump for a while. It would be nice to get some laps on this thing again.

Same thing happened to a buddy, blew a boot and was running on all nitrous and no boost. And....well, you know the rest.

Nitrous is just air when things go right, and a blowtorch when things go wrong. Even in a diesel.

well, he'd made a number of very clean, low EGT passes up untill that boot blew... if he'd been running twice as much nitrous on that pass, he might have skated by :D

I knew it was a risk but wanted to put on a show for the fans.
So I made an exhibition pass.
It turns out that #6 has a casting flaw causing a 3-4" crack vertical in the cylinder to a water port.
I can see the flaw through one of the water ports.
Time to start a new block.

Hey Snedge, you need some money :)

I knew it was a risk but wanted to put on a show for the fans.
So I made an exhibition pass.
It turns out that #6 has a casting flaw causing a 3-4" crack vertical in the cylinder to a water port.
I can see the flaw through one of the water ports.
Time to start a new block.

Hey Snedge, you need some money :)

damn Mike, sorry to hear about the block :(

Your Welcome Snedge

I just dropped the block off to start the machine work.
We should be up and running in a few weeks.
I'm still tempted to sleeve the cracked block but I'm very sure that's a bad idea :badidea:

Back