2006 Death Wobble AGAIN

231jasons

not really here
I was getting the DW again. Found a loose steering link. Replaced the whole thing with the new style 09+. Feels tons better just need to get the tow set and the SW straighted out.

So any disadvantages to maxing the caster out? tire wear or anything? I have an adjustable trac bar (thuren) and single nitro stabilizer (Carli) and steering box/ sector shaft brace, E rated tires at max pressure, so i think Ive got it pretty much covered. Except for the longer arms? I had the Ball joints warranty at 20K (41K now).

Any thing else you guys can think of?

PS the single carli SS works with the new style steering set up. (I was worried the hiem joint wouldn't work on the factory stud) but it seems to be fine.

If you replace the front steering parts with the new set up don't forget the nut for the Steering Stabilizer stud (sold separately).

I had my balljoints replaced under warranty about 6 months ago and when the went to the alignment shop I had them max the caster as far as it would go. I believe it ended up being around 6.5 degs. w/ the leveling springs installed. You could probably get more at stock ride height. Since the alignment I have not had any death wobble anymore. The added caster should not affect tire wear. It will be a little harder to turn from center with the wheels straight and the steering wheel will want to straighten out better while turning.

With new tires and the steering upgade its almost gone still shows up a little when at 70+, going up hill on a curve when you hit a bump.

I just did the upgrade a couple of weeks ago as well and added the upper steering stabilizer too, waiting on some Carli ball joints but it rides way better already. What did you do for steering upgrade new shaft?

web_pic2.jpg

web_pic3.jpg

BBD

I've had no adverse affects from maxed caster. I have 30k+ on 38" toyo mt's, never been rotated. The fronts are feathered like crap from never being rotated but other than that it's great and only had dw when the brace to the thuren drop bracket snapped in two.

I went from a 35 bfg d-range to 37 toyo e- range and it is gone. now it have swamper m16's that are e range and no issues for over a year now

I just did the upgrade a couple of weeks ago as well and added the upper steering stabilizer too, waiting on some Carli ball joints but it rides way better already. What did you do for steering upgrade new shaft?

web_pic2.jpg

web_pic3.jpg

BBD

I hadnt seen the upper S.S. Looks like a good idea though. I added the 09+ steering parts. I have the Carli box brace and same lower S.S.

i had the death wobble that wouldnt go away, i ended up doing a long arm front suspension and now its gone, for me it didnt matter what kind size etc of tires , went through several tie rods and ball joints, even the t-style, tried different alignment shops and steering stabilizers, until i flipped out and torched the front end off and started over.

Back