01 3500 5sp?

Blackdog

Hillbilly Deluxe
Ok guys I went and picked up my new to me 2001 3500 qc 2wd 5sp. I got to the dealer and went for a little test drive and all I could think of was all these years of owning diesel trucks I finally got the missing link, 5sp. The 300 plus mile trip back she was hauling my trailer and Excursion that I drove out to pick it up with.

I got just one question, The hy35 I found seems to lay back when pulling the hills. Is this common? Keep in mind this truck is all stock and will stay that way somewhat as it will be making me money pulling campers for a living. I am going to open up the air and exhaust and thought maybe an edge ez will help the hy35 a little. Will the ez do the trick for now because eventually it will get he351 conversion?

Wait a minute, Am I right or wrong that the truck has an hy or is it an hx?

Plug the waste gate line, get it to throw about 30# and keep the EZ on max. He will be a good little upgrade.

yeah I went into the compd archives and discovered that but it still doesn't seem to have much giddy up on the top end.

It will be a bandaid. A set of 275 RV's will really help. Throw on a HRVP when the original craps and enjoy.

You may need a pump

It will be a bandaid. A set of 275 RV's will really help. Throw on a HRVP when the original craps and enjoy.

You may need a pump

Well this is the business truck so I'm just trying to piece together what will get it up and down the road a little smoother. I already got a spare lift pump I will keep in the truck box.

Lift pump made a world of difference on my 01 when it was bone stock. Once I added the edge attitude and juice and tied the waste gate shut that little HY spooled quick as hell and made 35psi. Truck had a lot more pep after I did all that. Much more enjoyable to drive.

if its got over 150k miles on it you may want to adjust your valves to the tight side of clearances, my brothers 24v picked up quite a bit of power up top, and didnt fall on its face like it did before

Yeah it has 160k and I did notice really quick that the valves need to be tightened up.

Back