'01 Cummins/Auto Questions

well my friend is wanting to buy an 01 Dodge 2500 cummins, auto. w/ 50,000mi., the truck is bone stock. and I was wondering who has the best shift kit for it? I got one in my truck and it's a TFOD-Jr., never heard of it before...Anyways just wanting some ideas for helping the tranny w/o being too expensive. Any other known problems with that year, I've heard of the fuel systems not always being the greatest, but any info would be great.:thankyou2:

Get a FP guage and a VB from any of the reputable shops (Suncoast, DTT etc), and while your at it get a TQ as well. Then a fueling box, and a set of injectors and a huffer and.........Oh hell...you know the drill LOL LOL

Get the gauges- fuel psi- trans temp- pyro- boost. And like Billy suggested a good valvebody from one of the reputable shops, an upgraded converter does wonders also....

kinda off subject and im sorry for the hijack

i've got a 98 24v with the auto with 84k on the whole rig, Do u guys think that the tranny would hold up to some mild injectors, a smarty (not turned to the highest setting) followed by 5'' exhaust, stock turbo to kinda compensate? I know i would be better off buying a built tranny but i dont have cash for that, I could afford the vb and torque converter though< i fi get an aftermarkt tc would it kick in at a diff rpm or just be more heavy duty compared to stock? and im guessing the vb would just be for harder, more solid shifts?

If you are planning those engine mods, I would plan for atleast the valvebody and the torque converter. After those additions to the trans you will be happy with the newfound torque transferring abilities to the wheels........

RacinDuallie said:
If you are planning those engine mods, I would plan for atleast the valvebody and the torque converter. After those additions to the trans you will be happy with the newfound torque transferring abilities to the wheels........

thx for the info

With a VB and a converter the stock clutches etc will last a surprisingly long time. If you do upgrade the VB have the bands adjusted at the same time, it can help.

Billysgoat said:
With a VB and a converter the stock clutches etc will last a surprisingly long time. If you do upgrade the VB have the bands adjusted at the same time, it can help.

thx goat, do they make any under 100hp injectors or would the trans hold up to 100hp injectors u think? along with a really mild setting on a smarty?

RV 275's will add anywhere from 20-30HP. A set of injectors and a box will be pushing the limits of a stock tranny, personally, I would not add either until the tranny gets some upgrades. Support the power, then add it until more support is needed :evil

Don't waste your time or money on the TFOD-Jr kit... Atleast get the TFOD-DIESEL kit....

:rockwoot:

Back