01 Cummins rebuild----ADVICE PLZ?

B-Cummin

Its getting close to tax refund time, im trying to put a parts/price list together to weigh out needs/wants for rebuilding my engine. Ive been looking at rebuild kits that include pistons, bearings, gaskets, seals, wrist pins and such. Other than the obvious parts to replace, what hard internal parts and changes can be done to increase hp/tq with out going extreme. i know a good cam is a no brainer. my wishful thinking is to rebuild it to effiecently support/handle 500hp. i think that could satisfy me for a while.

And all advice would be greatly appreciated. what parts and where to buy quality at reasonable prices? thanks.

not much done to my truck, ready to get a healthy baseline before i do anything substantial to it.

Drag comp, 64mm turbo, 200hp sticks, clutch/built auto, studs, fuel system. Reliable and consistent 500hp. Talk to Jamie at cumminsperformanceparts.com (cummins724 on here).

Ive got the airdog 150 with draw straw on truck already. as for any internal mods(so its only gotta come apart once), any suggestions for that? studs and drag comp were on list already, got a new SO/IP already installed with 3000mi-ish also. whats all the hype with o-ringing/fire rings? at what point is it reccomended? thanks.

Nothing internal necessary. Your engine can handle 800 with no problem with stock internals (will need o-rings and studs though). O-ring is a wise idea. Not necessarily needed at 500hp but its pretty cheap insurance. Otherwise you don't need to tear the engine down for anything else. Unless its damaged right now in which case that's a whole new ball game.

still runs strong, i dont think the valves have every been adjusted(240,000), if anything, i randomly hear what sounds like a slight knock, rod or wrist pin. usually under light load/coasting.

Set the valves and go from there. If I tore my engine down every time I heard a noise the truck would never leave the driveway LOL

I'll do that first, shoulda been the first thing on my mind. You know off hand what the tolerances are?

If your shooting for 500 you can get away with a 62mm turbo and 100hp Scheid Lightning injectors with a drag comp.

If you go by the limit specs the valves probably never need to be adjusted.:doh: I like to set them at .008" and .018"
Intake:
Minimum 0.152 mm (0.006 inch)
Maximum 0.381 mm (0.015 inch)
Exhaust:
Minimum 0.381 mm (0.015 inch)
Maximum 0.762 mm (0.030 inch)

Valve Lash Adjustment Specifications
Intake 0.254 mm (0.010 inch)
Exhaust 0.508 mm (0.020 inch)

Last edited:
The Lightning 100's may be a little under ratedLOL, they did 480ish on a SO pump, 58mm turbo, and Juice Hot. 500-535 on a couple other SO pumped trucks with 62's and Drag Comps, 518 on my brothers SO truck with an Adrenaline.

How would the driveability be with the setup you two guy proposed? 100's vs 200's? It's my daily driver at the moment. Mileage isn't a big factor, but would like as much as possible.

Either setup would drive very nicely. The 62/100s would be less smokey and hot and the 64/200s would be stronger but have more smoke and heat. Either one would be fine for a daily driver.

Any idea of how much the stock internal hard parts in 47RE will handle, when does billet come in to the picture, hp/tq wise. And at 500ish hp, whats better, stock stall or low stall convertor? I know low stall helps milese but will the turbo light before I'll need to fill up again?

Not to be a dick but start doing some searching. These questions have been brought up a 100x before. A billet input is always a wise idea no matter what. Output and flex plate are optional at your power level but depend on if your drag racing and doing boosted launches. Pretty much all aftermarket converters are going to be "low" stall compared to the factory one but you can order a high stall one as well. Talk to the trans guys (suncoast, garmon, goerend, dtt) and they will set you up with the best setup possible. Just be very honest about what you use the truck for and how you drive it.

BgBlDodge, thanks fir the web store referral, now I wish I had a platinum credit card, the prices are ridiculously low, my kind of store. His selection of parts is alot wider than other stores, thanks, he'll be getting some business from me soon.

And didn't come across as a prick, I wanted advice from people that know thier **** and not just talk it. Thanks again.

Idk how he can sell the same products as other stores at his prices and make profits. Just a guess but, judging from the prices, he more about satisfying customers than satisfying the bank. Good character trait.

Off the subject but, how's the results with his CPP 7 hole edm and CPP 7 hole factory style nozzles? They're cheap priced, cheap results or well worth the money?

Back