01 Cummins revving with no throttle input

Cummins Driver

THE Cummins Driver
I know this an issue that has been discussed before. I have not been able to find any concrete answer for the problem though. Seems it could be different things. The truck is a 2001 24v Automatic. It has an Edge Juice CTS, intake, exhaust, air dog, and built auto. It is all stock and untouched as far as the engine aside from those items. It has 230k on it right now. I've been driving it for 3k miles now.

I recently had to replace the Cam Position Sensor. I replaced it with a BWD brand sensor. It threw the code for the cam sensor and the tach was dropping out on me but it seemed to run fine. Got the sensor replaced and no more codes or tach dropping out. That was a few weeks back. I also did an APPS relearn 3-4 months ago.

About a week after I replaced the CPS I noticed the truck revving on its own one day at a stop light. It would come up maybe 300rpm or so and then drop back down and do it again. Sometimes not as severe, just a blip. So after I realized what was going on I started watching the Edge module because I have it set up to read my APPS. Most of these blips only show about 3-4% on the Edge, with the worst of them I have seen up at 10%. I've still been driving the truck and it starts and runs excellent, but is unpredictable as to when this will happen.

Where do I need to start diagnosing the issue? Any connections I should look at? I have read some people say ECM, some said APPS. If it is an ECM what are my options? Find a used one? I would really like to diagnose this best I can before spending money on it. I also dont want it to die on me going down the road though.

Thanks

Unplug the apps when it happens, it should still idle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah. Easiest thing to try first that I can think of.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back