02 tach ?

dieseljunkie

Wasted Wages
I have a 2002 dodge that I put a 01 gasser tach in with the Schied cam sensor relocate using the factory ECM. Everything works ecept when I give it lite throttle (2000-2500 rpm) the tach returns to 0 rpm and then bounces around, WTF? What is the best thing to use for an accurate tach reading (sled pull only). I did a search on here but didnt find a good answer.:poke:

A lot of guys are running the 6k Autometer tach IIRC.

mine used to act up, at higher rpms it would bounce around, go to zero etc.

i put a new CPS in it and its working now...hopefully it stays working.

I'd go off of Getblown's experience and try a new sensor. After reading his post, your symptoms sure sound like the 'could' be from an iffy sensor.

Good luck.

I was told to move the sensor closer to the tone ring. I'll pull it apart and machine a lil off the Schied bracket and go from there. Thanks guys.

When you put in the gasser tach did your miles transfer over? or does it read what miles were on the gas cluster.

yup, my truck went from 96k to 67k when i put my v10 cluster in.

Yours was barely broken in. Mine went from 397k down to 307k. I'd like to keep my original mileage on the gas cluster, but thats too much of a hassle.

I had tach issues when I did my ppump swap and it ended up being the wrong cam sensor adapter was for the wrong year. Make sure your sensor is as close to possible to the tone ring, mine was to the side and not centered along with being to far away... That can give an erratic signal.

My odometer went from 120,000ish to 43,000ish went I switched tachs.

I looked at the tone ring through the offset hole and it looked pretty darn close to the center. I took the bracket off and shaved it down some and the problem remains.:bang I will probably order a new CPS. Any other ideas?

Before I order a new sensor, I will take my calipers and measure the gap between the tone ring and the sensor. Anybody know what the gap should be?

After machining the bracket I was left with a .050 gap. I put in a new CPS and everything works just fine now. Thanks guys!
Casey

Back