02 toy/driver...convince me

wilmesbm

Ok here's my current setup:
S0 VP44
SDX 7X12s
64/71/14
Edge JWA hot
50hp shot of nitrous to spool a little quicker

I'm not real sure, but I'd say I'm somewhere around 550-580hp. The truck has really become just a toy here lately, but I try to drive it as much as possible when it's not in pieces. I do have another vehicle though, so I can afford for it to be down here and there. It's definitely going to always be street driven though, this is not a competition build.

I bought a complete short block with a ppump on it complete with the timing cover last night for 300 bucks. It definitely needs to be rebuilt, and the guy I bought it from didn't know a thing about it, says he got it as part of a large deal he made in New Jersey. It's worth the gamble I figured. So after reading about some of the swaps on here, I'm considering it.

If I did it, I'd rebuild the short block that I bought last night over the winter then take the top end off of my 02 and put it on the 12v block. Here's my question though, for a street driven truck is this the best route to go? I'd definitely build both the motor and the pump pretty stout if I did it and would want enough fuel to grow into compounds down the road. If I did that, would it still remain streetable?

With my setup now she smokes pretty good if I make her, but its pretty controllable. Will a ppump be just as controllable? I'm really on the fence here, right now I've got a decently mean daily driver, but considering the deal I stumbled across I'm thinking it could always be meaner. Come on guys, convince me...

I've actually read through that thread prolly five times or so. I reckon I was just hoping to hear from some of the guys who did the conversion and are in the 700-800 hp range yet are still driving 'em on the street.

I do like the way my truck runs now, but I dunno how much more I can grow without making some major changes. My 24v already has all the supporting mods and I'm definitely gonna rebuild that 12v short block I got the other day, so I figured ppumping the 24valve with the built 12v block would be the most cost effective way to go.

My 13mm 24v gets driven on the street all the time. Much more fun than that old plug and play vp crap.

My 13mm 24v gets driven on the street all the time. Much more fun than that old plug and play vp crap.

What horsepower. (inj size, cc's) are you at now?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Be aware of the difference between 12v piston bowls and 24v if you are going to use the 24v head. Good power and controllable smoke level are obtainable, but plan on having the pump sent out to make it easier to do.

RonA

I liked mine so much I put a stock engine in the pickup and traded it on a ford. built P-pump 24 valve is now sitting on the shop floor.

buddy of mine did the same except he sold his with the P-pump compound turbo 24 valve in it, we both now own 99 F250's

not trying to talk you out of it but it's not always shining awesomeness. for something I drive on the road I would never do it again, mine is going to be a track only engine once I find something to put it in. on the other hand I had a manual trans behind it might have liked it better with an auto.

when I was VP'd it made around 700, with the P-pump I gave my twins to the buddy with that also sold his so I could build a bigger set and never got around to it, best I did with the P pump was 560/1198 on a 62/71/14 non gated. but engine is good for 1100+ and fuel for 900.

Last edited:
I had the same feelings about mine as cetanefreek. It was fun to do and say that i did but I would much rather have the vp44 to daily drive

What horsepower. (inj size, cc's) are you at now?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

5x.20 and the plate half way. I would guess somewhere around 650-700 cc. I have been out of state working most of the summer so I haven't got to put it on the rollers yet.

Drive a 12v truck some time. If you don't like how they drive, you won't like the p-pump 24V. It will require a good deal of effort to get it running well and always seems to have a quirk. Mine is a first gen so quirks have always been part of the package. I wouldn't trade mine for any brand of new truck.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas, thats great info. Right now I'm thinking I oughta keep my vp44 as a 600 hp daily driver like I set out to build a couple years ago. Then I'll just slowly build another mean ppumper as I come across good deals and have the time to do so.

that is a mistake I made RonA, I never drove a p-pump other than a couple DT466's and a couple old Mack trucks and one buddies competition puller around the parking lot.

the things that killed me, static timing, no bottom end torque rise (with the vp44 it compensates when you let the clutch out, with the p7100 you have to set your idle at 1000 rpm), hard to start in the cold (-25F), constantly fighting leaking injector lines, poor mileage compared to my VP, there's more but I haven't driven it in a year so I've forgotten a lot.

to be honest I was seriously considering a VE conversion, I had a lot of them at work that I liked, and my BMW diesel had one, factory governor went to 5500 rpm or so.

Yep. If you aren't looking for power, stay with the VP.

that is a mistake I made RonA, I never drove a p-pump other than a couple DT466's and a couple old Mack trucks and one buddies competition puller around the parking lot.

the things that killed me, static timing, no bottom end torque rise (with the vp44 it compensates when you let the clutch out, with the p7100 you have to set your idle at 1000 rpm), hard to start in the cold (-25F), constantly fighting leaking injector lines, poor mileage compared to my VP, there's more but I haven't driven it in a year so I've forgotten a lot.

I found nearly the opposite with my truck. Mileage didn't change much, went up a little if anything. Started easy in the cold. I did have to injection lines leak, that was more of an annoyance than performance issue, though. I will give you that the VP44 will pull much harder with no pedal when letting out the clutch. With a Smarty on the VP, it would blow out significant amount of smoke if I let out the clutch too fast without ever touching the throttle. That being said, my 13mm will react almost as aggressively, but will keep pulling like that once throttle is applied. The VP/Smarty would pull real hard until it reached the low idle setting, then was back to being a 300hp engine.

Hindsight, putting a 12v in place of the 24v would have been much cheaper, but I certainly don't regret doing it.

Ok here's my current setup:
S0 VP44
SDX 7X12s
64/71/14
Edge JWA hot
50hp shot of nitrous to spool a little quicker

I'm not real sure, but I'd say I'm somewhere around 550-580hp. The truck has really become just a toy here lately, but I try to drive it as much as possible when it's not in pieces. I do have another vehicle though, so I can afford for it to be down here and there. It's definitely going to always be street driven though, this is not a competition build.

I bought a complete short block with a ppump on it complete with the timing cover last night for 300 bucks. It definitely needs to be rebuilt, and the guy I bought it from didn't know a thing about it, says he got it as part of a large deal he made in New Jersey. It's worth the gamble I figured. So after reading about some of the swaps on here, I'm considering it.

If I did it, I'd rebuild the short block that I bought last night over the winter then take the top end off of my 02 and put it on the 12v block. Here's my question though, for a street driven truck is this the best route to go? I'd definitely build both the motor and the pump pretty stout if I did it and would want enough fuel to grow into compounds down the road. If I did that, would it still remain streetable?

With my setup now she smokes pretty good if I make her, but its pretty controllable. Will a ppump be just as controllable? I'm really on the fence here, right now I've got a decently mean daily driver, but considering the deal I stumbled across I'm thinking it could always be meaner. Come on guys, convince me...

im running the same set up as you, 7x12s and a 64mm. i ran them both with the vp and now the p pump. im right at 500cc on my pump. id say it runs cleaner with the p pump then it ever did with the vp.

it seems to haze less now at idle and durring take off.

i can still tow heavy fine. id say its cleaner with the p pump then the vp, still very streetable

I'm currently running SDX 300bar 7X10's in my 02. Not liking them at all, probably the worst value of 2hrs spent working on the truck ever. I came from 6X13's SAC's and going back to them soon. I have another set of SDX 300 bar 7X13's I guess that I should try out.

I'm still not sure of which way to go with my old truck when I build the new engine for the truck. So many choices these days.:hehe:

Every 12V that I've built has run decent and fuel good when tuned. Same goes for the current VP, you just need the right parts. Best power I've made was 673rwhp on VP back in 05

Not in the high horsepower club here, but love driving a conversion truck. I did it for the reassurance value mainly. But, the options available are also a great factor.

If I had to start all over again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Except, this time I would spend more time fixing the little things while it is apart.

I have had 700hp plus vps since 06. My current 99 is going threw the conversion now as we speak. I am tired of replacing vps. I guess I am getting old lol. I would much rather have dependable over super performance any day. And being a VP is not dependable and still will never make what you can with a ppump I am doing the conversion

sent from my galaxy s3

Back