03-04 cr head porting and + size valve

Insanediesel

Hey guys looking for a little advice on where to get my head work done on my 04 cr head. I'm build a 2.6 engine and the more air flow the better its going to have a lot of fuel and a great charger with it so I'm looking for options. I'm looking to cut the shelf off and get a side draft done and also port and polish to maximize my air flow. Also kind of curious what size valve I could run with lets say a .040 over bore.

Any help with some ideas would be great thanks guys.

Look in to Power Built Racing Engines in Elkhorn, WI. He did my head and did a great job for a very reasonable price.

Does this shop got a website at all I searched it but I want to make sure im getting the rite shop

There is a lot to good porting on a Cummins head, I see a lot of guys porting and polishing making it look great, but really have no idea if they are being effective in their port path and CFM increase. If your looking for what I feel is the best Head work in the industry take a look at D&J Precision Machine. They do all their porting with a 5 axis Centroid CNC for repeatable results. http://www.djprecisionmachine.com/Products.html

Lavon

D&J is awesome no doubt. Not sure where in Wisco you are but Joker Fab is in Plover and does some pretty wicked stuff. Its not always about how big you can make the runners. Its about maintaining reliability to the water jackets as well as matching porting to intended use. Like Lavon said, repeatability and knowledge of the heads internal layout is important.

As far as valve size goes. There isn't much to gain on the 5.9 bore. Most seem to agree that boring the cylinder .020" or .040" helps unshroud the stock valve size but its tough to maximize a 1mm(?) oversized valve on the 5.9 bore even with overbore. I don't believe the next larger valve option fits.

Last edited:
Stay with stock size valves at .020 over I've had them rub on the cylinder walls on two different engines.

Thanks guys for all your help. Thanks Lavon I had D&J in mind I see a lot of nice stuff from them.

Back