03 2500 gasser cummins swap

Ram12vcummins

Looking at a 2500 with a hemi that's toast. Just want some quick advice on work needed and if it would make sense to convert it to a 12v? Is the factory trans able to stay? Will the 12v mount in relatively easy?

I'm also looking at a 2010 gas job with same issue. I'd prefer to do it to that one because it has the larger cab.

Also is a mega cab share the same frame as a 2500? Would it make sense to drop a cummins in there? Need a truck for towing 15k roughly.

Use the Diesel engine/transmission combination, forget the gasser stuff.

A 12 valve will mount easily, you just need to build motor mounts for it. I haven't heard or seen any differences between hemi powered rams and common rail powered rams as far as motor mounts, I could be wrong. The hemi will already have the cable throttle wire that you need for the 12 valve. It's an easy conversion, I believe the tone ring for the tach pickup is different for hemi trucks. I have the 60 minus 2 tooth tone ring from destroked and it works great in my 2005 12 valve conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I bought an NV4500 from a guy on here a while back that did, or is doing, the conversion from a gasser V-8 to a 12 valve in a 2003.
Hopefully he chimes in here, if he sees the topic.

I believe member maxwedgehead also has info on this conversion.

Mark.

I put a 12v in an 03 1500. Used 2nd gen motor mounts and built the truck side mounts from 3/8" plate

Use the Diesel engine/transmission combination, forget the gasser stuff.

A 12 valve will mount easily, you just need to build motor mounts for it. I haven't heard or seen any differences between hemi powered rams and common rail powered rams as far as motor mounts, I could be wrong. The hemi will already have the cable throttle wire that you need for the 12 valve. It's an easy conversion, I believe the tone ring for the tach pickup is different for hemi trucks. I have the 60 minus 2 tooth tone ring from destroked and it works great in my 2005 12 valve conversion.

Good info. Did you get a diesel cluster as well? I guess my only issue might be going to newer and dealing with canbus.

I bought an NV4500 from a guy on here a while back that did, or is doing, the conversion from a gasser V-8 to a 12 valve in a 2003.
Hopefully he chimes in here, if he sees the topic.

I believe member maxwedgehead also has info on this conversion.

Mark.

I'm thinking you would know.......is a mega cab frame and suspension identical to a 2500? Just badged a 1500?

I put a 12v in an 03 1500. Used 2nd gen motor mounts and built the truck side mounts from 3/8" plate

Just welded your mounts with plate to the frame?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

negative. if you want some pics you'd have to text me. I'm a victim of the great photo bucket scandal of 2017.

edit: but just to elaborate. i made mounts attached to the truck crossmember for the 2nd gen mounts on the engine to drop down into and then a big arse bolt (9/16" i think??) runs through the mount.

really wish i could post photo bucket pictures dagnabbit

Last edited:
jsopgT8b.jpg

lets try this imgur thing...

this is the passenger side motor mount while i was building it. i ended up welding the backside piece to the crossmember and then using some DOM tubing between the 2 pieces. then, what you don't see, is there is one big bolt that runs through the middle of it all attaching the motor mount to the truck side mount. clear as mud?

edit: mounting this way worked out so that the stock 1500 trans mount fit perfectly with the 46rh cummins trans. wish i could say i planned it that way, but i was shocked to say the least.

Last edited:
Good info. Did you get a diesel cluster as well? I guess my only issue might be going to newer and dealing with canbus.

I'm thinking you would know.......is a mega cab frame and suspension identical to a 2500? Just badged a 1500?

My truck started out as a diesel.

Here is a link

12-Rail

12-Rail - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

12 charging

Hello I have a 95 12 valve that I put in a 2005 1500 that had a 4.7 L and I'm trying to use the factory alternator from 1995 to tie it into the 2005 computer 2005 truck I'm not quite understanding how you wired alternator up I did get a tone wheel and I have the other gauges working tachometer oil pressure Exedra just alternator need wiring help thank you

Hello I have a 95 12 valve that I put in a 2005 1500 that had a 4.7 L and I'm trying to use the factory alternator from 1995 to tie it into the 2005 computer 2005 truck I'm not quite understanding how you wired alternator up I did get a tone wheel and I have the other gauges working tachometer oil pressure Exedra just alternator need wiring help thank you

I installed a transpo internal regulator and then just wired the alt to the battery through a 125amp fuse.

Find the alternator reference wire that goes to the ecm and run a wire to the charge wire on the alternator. Find a pin out diagram and go from there.

tried it but still doesn.t work I think it talks to the computer for a alot of things i don,t think it will work wish someone knew thanks

I'm debating buying a 2010 2500 with a bum hemi. I know anything is doable but has anyone on here done a swap like a 12 or 24v p pumped into a 4th gen? And maintained the factory gauges?

Back