03 6.0 Sluggish, Need help 6.0 gurus!

TxDiesel007

Uncommon CR problemed
Hey guys

Most of you know im a cummins guy but right now for a very good friend of my familys, im lookin for some answers and guidance on an engine i have just about no clue on..

The specs, 03 excursion limited 4x4, 6.0, and the mileage is under 100K for sure. I know the truck is not stock, has autometer gauges, an airraid intake and some sort of programmer, id vouch to say its a superchips or an edge im not sure... the truck is very very sluggish to say the least. the pyrometer probe is post turbo on this thing and at 50 mile per hour, it is at least at 550 degrees post turbo. ALso when you get on it, the vehicle does not respond like a normal 6.0 would. the pyro rises, but the truck is sluggish for about 2-3 seconds...

Under the hood the basics have been checked, fuel filter was changed, airraid was cleaned out, but i have not recieved results as to if that made a difference. What i did notice was that the intercooler boots towards the IC and away from the turbo did have alot of oil buildup, sort of like when my turbos were shot on my ram (goin off my experience here) Perhaps the VGT is in need of rebuild or replacement? the O rings gone bad?

Or is there some sort of electrical issue going on. The battery light blinks on and off constantly, and this did start when the vehicle became sluggish.

Guys, any and all help is appreciated... thank you for your time, patience and reading of this...

Rick

Grasping at straws here but if the battery light is going on and off, possibly an electrical issue? Could "dirty" power mess up the computer enough to cause it to not run right? From the IT world, I've seen plenty of what bad power will do to sensitive equipment but I dont know if the same would apply to automotive flash type computers.

The other idea I had from my very limited experience would be possibly bad turbo as you said. If its running rich from no air from turbo, that would be tantamount to overfueling and cause high EGT right? Might also explain the sluggishness. If the vanes are stuck it might be having a hard time getting spooled up. ??

Does this truck still have the cat? Might be plugged or getting that way. Which would also account for the sluggish performance, and high initial egt on throttle opening.

It would be nice to see any codes set, that would help a bunch too...

codes?

is this like a dodge where u cycle the key three times to get a code? or do i need a scanner

Rick

PS whats an SCT? and whats the alternator have to do with it?

Never mind

trucks been fixed, filters needed maintainance, a reflash from the stealership, and the alternator was bad.. blonde moment on my behalf... i know it charges the batteries..

thanks to the small amount of folks that tried to help..

Rick

Back