03 mysterious coolant loss?

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
Truck has 130k miles on it. No coolant in the oil, its not burning it in the motor, no smoke out the tail pipe, no drips, no leaks. Been going on for a few months now. I have no idea what's going on or where it could be going. Do yall have any ideas?

Other than headgaskets (check for system pressure), there's a small diameter coolant hose that goes to the turbo. That little bastard is known for getting a pin hole in it.

I just had an '01 in the shop last week...The turbo thermostat was loose where it screws into the top rad pipe and it was dripping so slowly that the coolant was evaporating from the engine heat.

Ill check those out. I'm dmax retarded.

Some new news, the SOB is finally leaking. I've seen a few drips/spots from the front skid plate but who knows where that could be coming from. Dad said he tightened some bolts down by the lower radiator hose.

Check that lil short hose that is just behind the top of the fan pulley. I've replaced a few that were leaking...they're a pain to change.

Lovely. Dad did say that every chevy he's ever owned has needed a water pump between 70-130k miles.

I have never had a water pump, go out on ours, but the LB7 does eem to like eatin them up. But atleast the job doesn't suck ass. Oh no wait... It sucks major ass.

Lovely. And here I was telling my parents that it's not a big deal to swap one out.

Lovely. And here I was telling my parents that it's not a big deal to swap one out.

:hehe: :hehe: Riiiiiiiiight..

Other than getting the balancer off..And taking the starter off so you can put the holder on the flywheel so you can re-torque the balancer...piece of cake.

So the coolant has stopped leaking but the windshield washer reservoir has busted open. LOL

Ya. I told my mom that the next time she wants to waste $1000 to just send it my way instead. That pump might be a PIA but I'll bet I could do it for far cheaper than a $1000.

For sure 1000 bucks is pretty steep, the job is awfull but can be done in the driveway

1k for just replacing the water pump? We just had the same problem with my mom's 04 and had the water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, 2x thermostats and a new belt put on her's for 950 including tax.. fixed the leak too

Agreed. This shop is screwing them. They charged them $1000 to replace 2 tie rods, flush the tranny, and flush the radiator in my sisters i30. But what the heck do I know. I'm just their mechanically inclined son who fixes everything on the farm and his own truck. LOL

Back