03 rail pressure sensor

Just replaced PRV and thought I had it, idled good. Nope fell flat on its face when tried to drive....?
Changing FCA now, man I hope it works or I'm going to be BUMMED!!

Ok replaced FCA, runs a little better until give it throttle, reverted back to same old issues!!
Called Todd at TC Diesel, we talked a while & he suggested unplugging the coolant sensor, did that and it stayed running, he said drive it and call him back.
Drive it and OMG it runs normal!!!!??
Told Todd he said replace sensor and should be good to go!!

OMG I hope like ?it does, the test is this 60 mile ride..

Interesting.

Didn't know that symptoms like that could be a coolant temp sensor related (unless I am not following something).

Sure would be nice to know exactly why that sensor caused the engine to run like you described.

Well it got me home, it acted up on and off all the way home! I couldn't find a temp send unit local so I had to order one. Once I get it and replace it I'll update.

Certainly gremlins somewhere!!!!

What's really weird, it seems, is that when a new tune is loaded it runs good for a little bit then starts to act up, kind of like a horse, the tune runs through its brain for a while then it realizes hey I'm doing what they are asking me to do, so it throws a temper tantrum!!!
?

Do I need to put any thread sealer o the coolant temp sending unit, if so what type?

Thanks

I'm not sure what that one looks like exactly, but lots of temp senders ground through the threads. Just be sure before you dope it up then it doesn't work.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone know what type of tool it takes to communicate with the engine ECM through the dodge module language?

A diesel place in town here said that cummins has a wire shake test to see if there is a cracked wire, but the place doesn't have the equipment to communicate through the dodge barriers.

So I'm wondering what it would take to do this without going to the dodge dealer.

Let me know y'all think, Thanks?

Another ?, is it possible now the lift pump is bad?
Now it idles good, runs ok cold but when stepping on the throttle, the rail pressure drops then jumps back to where it should be then drops on and off making the truck cough, sputter and fall flat on its face.

It does this when put under any type of load..

Thoughts??

Thanks

Sounds like what my truck was doing when I lost pressure from the lift pump. Idled fine, but the moment you put the throttle down, it would bog.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Waiting on parts for the 2003, we went out and got a 2013 6.7 2500 to get us home, its got the DEF now so I hope it does OK!!!!

Well the sensor arrived late this evening, going to install tomorrow AM, then load it and see what happens..

OK I put in the new coolant temp sensor and started it up, runs ok then starts to run like missing with some timing rattle. so I revved it up and it spitted and sputtered, timing rattle and the Rail Pressure kept dropping off. I shut off and restarted letting it idleI watched the rail pressure, it kept on dropping then catching back up, spits and sputters when the pressure drops, so pushed the throttle down and rail pressure went up then dropped way down, then jacked way up then down, rattle and missing running....:bang:bang:bang:bang

Any Ideas???

WOW this is turning out to be 1 BIG PITA. This is even throwing Me for a lop.

WOW this is turning out to be 1 BIG PITA. This is even throwing Me for a lop.

I saw this post on dieseltruckresource

Went out 1 morning and decided to change my smarty to #6 since #5 was smoking to much in O/D and #6 has no timming so seemed like a good idea.

Everythig loaded as normal, unplugged the smarty, waited 30sec befor cold starting the truck (Always unplug my DR Performance befor pluging in smarty) turned ignition and started the truck, took a lil longer then usual to start, smoked more then usual and a god awful knock like an old neglected dump truck, ruff idle up and down, exhaust sounded different also as if it was half under water, check engine light on along with the WIF light. Immediatelly turned the truck off. Returned my truck back to stock settings with Smarty then restarted and exact same problems. Pluged Smarty back in and checked for codes, got these axact same codes from the dash display aslo. P0340, P0341, P0652, P0237, P251, P2269

From what I read online there may be a short circuit some where maby the 5v wire? do all these codes have the same common 5v wire?

Tested batteries and their fine. Getting very discouraged here this is my first diesel and got the D/W and then this all in 1 month. Getting tired of spending $$$$$$$$ on this truck, I just wanna drive it![verymad]

just prior to this I repaired a broken purple wire for the rear left tail light, it was a no brainer, broken wire cut out the bad soldered in new then shrink tubed.

any help is greatly appreciated to this diesel Noob!

This is sooooo familiar!!!!

Jimmy
2003 Ram 2500
Smarty SSR & UDC
Bone Stock
2wd
13,000 5th Wheel + cycle trailer

Y'all think its possible its the PDC & FCM?

Jimmy
2003 Ram 2500
Smarty SSR & UDC
2wd Bone Stock

2013 Ram 2500
Bone Stock

13,000 5th Wheel + cycle trailer

Back