03 reaches 230* on a 70-90mph acceleration

Gibson

There's no love in diesel
03 auto 2wd. 440,000 miles. has a mild built Trans with triple disk converter. Smarty SSR. Stock air and exhaust. FASS lift pump.

I've noticed the fan engages at 1100-1300 RPMs on take offs and sounds like a direct fixed fan. Been that way for years. Put a water pump and thermostat in it early this year. Belt is good/newer. Antifreeze has been flushed and changed earlier this year. 60/40 mix. Doesn't over heat cruising, towing 5-10,000# speed limit or at high speeds when slowing getting to 80+mph. Smarty tuned or stock it still over heats when accelerating hard 70-90mph. I thought it was the heat (100*+) but still does it at night or at 75-80* outside temps. After reaching 230* it cools back to 200-205* in 2-4mins at speed limit. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Even if the radiator looks clean wash it thoroughly with a decreasing and foaming agent.

My dodge would go from 185-210 on a wot run from 70-100 unloaded. Had the radiator cleaned, new coolant, new t-stat, never ran hot in its life. Just would heat up on wot runs. Quit caring after a while.

Replace the rad and clean the exterior of all other front mounted coolers. Also put a new genuine cummins t-stat in it.

The hard acceleration leads me to believe that it is a head gasket lifting, putting air into the system. I would think that it would show up towing heavy though. If the radiator was an issue, I would think that at higher speeds it would tend to run cooler because of the increased heat transfer across the radiator.

I am thinking that at 70 MPH your locked up in OD, and your cylinder pressure would be the highest, thus pushing out cylinder gasses into the coolant, causing an air pocket.

Obviously another waterpump and thermostat would be easier to verify.

Thinking about slapping a new water pump and t-stat. The ones currently are genuine cummins ones. 190*? Or 195*? Might as well retorque the head bolts and see if they have backed off any. Damn truck runs like a top. 22-23mpg all day, every day. Never fails to light up the tires and boil out tire smoke at any given point.

I have noticed I loose .25-.5 quarts of oil at 6,000 mile intervals. Last 4 changes have showed that.

Actually I noticed twice this year I had to add 1 quart of coolant to the radiator. Other than that no loss in coolant or frothy/blackish coolant. Or hard upper radiator hose after it does the 230* deal or after a normal warm up/drive.

Radiator hasn't been changed from 350,000-440,000 miles I know of. Truck has had all work done at dealership from 0-350,000. I'm the second owner.

Last edited:
I suppose while it is hot you can shoot the radiator hoses with a temp gun, see what kind of differential your getting across the radiator. Just usually getting it out on the road at highway speeds kind of take out fan and radiator issues. Lock her up in drive and try the same runs if you can muster up that kind of speed in drive.

I got a spare fan/clutch ill swap to it tommarrow as well.
Any idea why the currant fan engauges at 11-1300 on normal take off? Sounds like a direct fan on an old Chevy.

Here is a question, are you sure the temperature sensor is reading right? Maybe it reads hotter?

Here is a question, are you sure the temperature sensor is reading right? Maybe it reads hotter?

Good question. I would assume so. Reads 200* all day. And one pointer width over on hot days or when pulling a trailer. Scan tool matches what dash gauge reads. Got a resistance/temp table for the sensor?

This was on a 5 mile stretch a while back. Got it to 90 for a few miles, then topped it out the last mile. Never got passed that temp. But 70-90 got to 220ish.

C1D25A5F-203A-4F90-B539-22A3A2430E98-687-00000085CD93421B.jpg

This was on a 5 mile stretch a while back. Got it to 90 for a few miles, then topped it out the last mile. Never got passed that temp. But 70-90 got to 220ish.

C1D25A5F-203A-4F90-B539-22A3A2430E98-687-00000085CD93421B.jpg

Your brake is on. :hehe:
I wish my truck would go over 105

Sent from space

And ATP rocks :)

Your brake is on. :hehe:
I wish my truck would go over 105

Sent from space

What ever 3750 RPM's is with a 48re Nd 265/70/17's is what this Lil truck goes. I know it's 120+. And in park scan toll says I'm going 3mph for some reason? Guess that why my brake/abs light is on.

Edit: 137.05 mph according to a calculator.

Last edited:
What ever 3750 RPM's is with a 48re Nd 265/70/17's is what this Lil truck goes. I know it's 120+. And in park scan toll says I'm going 3mph for some reason? Guess that why my brake/abs light is on.

Edit: 137.05 mph according to a calculator.

Mine hits 105 and no more. Apparently my programmer doesn't kill the governor... Sad day, hurry up EFI!
Edit: for safety. You should maybe wear a seat belt when you're going 138....

Sent from space

Last edited:
I'm betting it's the radiator. Pull it out and pressure wash half of it, hold it up to the sun and look at the difference. It will be noticeable.
My dad did this on his 04. It too would run up to 210* at times when towing or just a hot day in town at certain times. New thermostat, pressure washed the radiator, and it sits at 195*. Maybe now and then up to 205* when towing the 5th wheel camper.

But it was definitely noticeable when he cleaned that radiator. I bet that was 95% of his temp problems. It's cheaper than another water pump and thermostat.

I'm betting it's the radiator. Pull it out and pressure wash half of it, hold it up to the sun and look at the difference. It will be noticeable.
My dad did this on his 04. It too would run up to 210* at times when towing or just a hot day in town at certain times. New thermostat, pressure washed the radiator, and it sits at 195*. Maybe now and then up to 205* when towing the 5th wheel camper.

But it was definitely noticeable when he cleaned that radiator. I bet that was 95% of his temp problems. It's cheaper than another water pump and thermostat.

I would agree, except he says he has no issues with it towing(unless I understood him incorrectly)

Last edited:
Back