04.5 down please help me fellas

cummin95

Concrete King/Welder
Well I got the truck back to running with new 150s from exergy and most of the issues lined out been driving the truck last couple days and realized I had a weird rattle/knock just popped up after about the 2nd week of driving and today the truck just lost all power peddle went to the floor no boost no power and white smoke went everywhere and it's idling very rough with no power. Now mind you I'll be honest I have been trying to save to get this stage 3 pump a buddy has so it was stock pump with the 150s and as of now the pump is stock with 140,000 miles.
Could my pump have finally went down? I'm think the rattle I had before this happened was my FCC but never found out. Now the truck will no start and it has a really rough time even turning over. Please help me guys if ya have any advise.

Could be pump or many other things. Any modded truck needs a RP and FP gauge installed period. IMHO those are the first things that need to be done.

Jake

List of mods. Do you have a rail pressure gauge? That will tell you what the pump is doing/not doing. Sounds like an injector problem.

Truck is a 04.5
6spd with dual disk
Exergy 60% over stock injectors
Silver bullet
181/210 cam
110lb valve springs
425 studs
Pushrods
Coolant bypass
Stock injection pump
Airdog 150
That's about it I'm pretty sure.

I have a pyro boost and fuel pressure guage but no rail pressure guage I know I need one I need a cp3 too but times are hard right now. Just been taking it easy on the truck till I get the pump. I don't even have a time on it right now

does the smoke smell like raw fuel or burning oil. how much blowby comes out of the oil filler when you remove the cap with the engine running?

Barely any smoke comes out its normal and it smells like raw cold fuel.

What tuner are you running? I hope nothing aggressive with 150's. Sounds like your fuel was never atomizing properly. You could have a stuck open injector. Don't run the truck!! Pull the injectors or get a scanner to turn off one injector at a time and that will narrow down the bad injector(s). If its white smoke that means its filling the cylinder up with alot of diesel and you can get cylinder washout. Check your oil and see if it's making oil (added diesel in the engine oil when it fills a cylinder and seeps past the rings) if it is DO NOT drive it!! It will toast your motor.

Yeah there hasn't been a tuner on the truck at all and I checked the dipstick and oil when it happened it smells like a little fuel but it hasn't filled up with any fuel from what I can see. It's still in the safe zone on the dipsticks. From what I can tell there is no blowby. What are the symptoms when you loose a injection pump. When this happened it just lost all power and would barely even move. It would idle but had a very hard time and now I can't even get it to start to run a scanner for the injectors. I just don't know where to start. I'll get the codes it thrown and see if that might help someone know something

Sounds like you need to cap off 1 injector at a time and see if you can isolate the potentialy bad one. Ive never dealt with a cp-3 failure like this. My only dealings was a modded pump seizing up. Truck died instanly. Lol

See I really feel like it might be a pump but have no way of knowing. I just need to figure out a way to get it started so I can cap the injectors. I can get a scanner no problem but the truck won't start.

If an injector is hung open it wont start up. Cant build enough rp to fire off. Thats why capping one at a time. Cant say for certain its your problem but a start to narrowing it down. You can also break the manifold loose and see if any of the exhaust ports are wet with fuel. If ones hung you will see it. I had an injector that would leak when it set. This is how I figred it out. On the pump side I think the cascade overflow valve would be the only other thing I would know to try. Hopefully one of the guys that mods pumps can chime in on that.

IF an injector is hung open, it will not start, possibly if you have dual pumps but you don't want that anyways.

However when you crank it, it will half ass try to start, on the one cylinder that is getting a pile of fuel, it should also be white smoking a lot and it will have a really strange smell like old oil furnace if you know that smell from the fuel in the cylinder so advanced.

Now.... It is handy to have a IR gun handy to check temperature. After cranking it for a bit and if you have the condition above, check each port of the exhaust manifold with the IR gun, one will be much warmer than the rest. This is the offending injector, now cap this rail port (can cut an old injector line and weld it if you have or get a cap).

Engine will start and run fine on five cylinders, pull that injector and send away or replace with new.

Now if you crank it and there is no white smoke you'll need a different way to diagnose it and I'll type that out if the above is not your symptoms.

Starter fluid and see if it will take off from there. Guess its time for a modded pump. I'd say send it to Todd @ TC diesel but if it's shot then it's prolly just a paper weight. Has it thrown any codes? Have you checked all connections make. Possibly the FCA is gone. These are just a couple things to look into.

it has thrown codes but i will not be able to get them until i get back to the shop tomorrow and i will post them.

As far as the white smoke it was coming out very badly when the truck lost power so bad it was coming out the vents inside the truck.
When i try to crank the truck no smoke comes out of the exhaust that i can see and it sound like it has a strain of some sort because it dont crank over real fast its really slow but its not the batteries.
when i do get a pump it will for sure be todds i have already spoke with him on that topic and his rail.
Im gonna be so mad if its an injector i have had nothing but fuel system problems with this truck, its on its third set as of now.

Possibly border line hydro locked causing the strained starting. Pop the gear off the cp-3,disconnect high pressure line and see if you can turn the shaft by hand to make sure the cp-3 isnt seized internally. Good luck with it. I know your pain with cr injectors/fuel systems.

I guess i will have to try that along with the other things to see if it may be an injector which i hope not only because they only have about 300 miles on the new injectors.

Back