04.5 engine in 03?

inline only

wanna be
Got an 03 with scored piston and owner wants to buy an engine to throw in. He found an 04.5. I realize the piston, turbo, and injectors, ecm are different. What has to be changed to put 04.5 engine in 03? Will pistons work with 03 injectors? Anybody got experience with this? I did some searching and could not come up with anything.

injectors must match the pistons, 03- 04 will not work well in an 04.5 up, or the other way around either.

If its a complete 04.5 engine, just keep the 03 ecm and use the 04.5 motor...

May have to use the 03 turbo since the 04.5 has electronic wastegate.

Leave the '04.5 engine together as it is for mechanical parts, pistons must match the injectors. Put the complete '03 electrical system over onto the '04.5 engine and install in in the truck.

Leave the '04.5 engine together as it is for mechanical parts, pistons must match the injectors. Put the complete '03 electrical system over onto the '04.5 engine and install in in the truck.

I that will work for sure, thats what we will do. thanks

I once ran into a small problem, but that was only a difference in the coolant sensor plugs, swapped the '03 coolant sensor into the '04.5 engine and all was happy. There may be other sensors that need swapped as well but I think you'll be fine as long as the the '03 wire harness connectors fit the '04.5 sensors.

I once ran into a small problem, but that was only a difference in the coolant sensor plugs, swapped the '03 coolant sensor into the '04.5 engine and all was happy. There may be other sensors that need swapped as well but I think you'll be fine as long as the the '03 wire harness connectors fit the '04.5 sensors.

Smarty should go back on fine also?

Back