04 hiccups then surges??????.?

Snoracerx

Like title says truck tries to dye then regains it self then surges

History has new ebp sensor, egr delete, newer ficm 6k 2 years old, new head gaskets and studs, turbo veins cleaned, fuel filter 7k old, oil change due in 500 miles, no codes,

It did this last summer while on a trip but then stopped when I got home never found an issue had at dealer nothing found now it is starting again first video of my truck from inside coasting down hill at the end you can see the surge second video idle in driveway and the another I found on you tube from the outside with same issue
9B5A4DFB-C925-424B-BB1A-F418B348C1E6-4996-0000049C0CE2690B_zps17f4bd84.mp4

1FBE0169-DB39-4039-AA79-557B4426DFDE-4996-0000049DBE337AFF_zpsbc63fcdc.mp4

http://youtu.be/h5x4UXKK2VQ

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your video sounds like mine did, when my '04 stalled and died on a left hand turn a little while back. Replaced the CPS and have had no issues since. I would highly recommend checking your IPR and ICP as well.

Thanks for the reply

Everything checks fine but I haven't been able to duplicate the problem with equipment hooked up maybe I throw three new sensors at it and hope for the best

I just don't want trouble in the rare occasion my wife takes it with the three kids

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the reply

Everything checks fine but I haven't been able to duplicate the problem with equipment hooked up maybe I throw three new sensors at it and hope for the best

I just don't want trouble in the rare occasion my wife takes it with the three kids

Sent from my iPhone

I wouldn't throw all 3 at it. Mine was intermittent as well; it was the CPS. If it were your IPR or ICP, a scan would show it.

Well they are coming up clean I've seen so many 6.0 and have never seen a cps go but I guess there is a first for everything

Well they are coming up clean I've seen so many 6.0 and have never seen a cps go but I guess there is a first for everything

If I had a $1.00 for every time someone said that, when we were replacing mine... Lol but it's what the issue was. Good luck, I'm curious if it ends up fixing it.

What color does it go when it dyes? :D

The issue could be as simple as EBS wire group rubbing on a stud on the driver's side
valve cover. If grounded out by a bounce, the engine will die, and will catch itself once the wire is off the offending stud.

It goes yellow lol
I noticed I spelled it wrong but can't go back in to edit my post

Ill check the ebp sensor wiring this morning I got rained out from work so maybe mess with today

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
Everything had tested out fine on the truck numerous times so I decided to start throwing parts at it and the first one fixed if

I put an icp sensor in it problem solved so far I have a couple hundred miles on it

Sent from my iPhone

Problem is back seems to coincide with hot weather any ideas all the vitals look great

Sent from my iPhone

Sometime the wires will rub on the icp harness on late 04 cause they're pulled too tight going to the cake cover. Otherwise I would say if you live anywhere that has winter weather that they treat the roads for look at your cam sensor ice seen the block Rudd under the bolt tab for the cmp and it started to break the sensor apart internally causing intermittent running issues that were exacerbated by ambient air temperature

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

wiggle icp wires while running and listen for a stutter or if it dies. It is common.

I'm gonna check all these things today

Thanks guys I posted this on four forums three of them claim to be powerstroke ford and none if them got many answers it seems everyone is trying to help I appreciate it

I will report back

Sent from my iPhone

Surging sounds to me like the IPR. Unfortunately you dont always get codes when sensors are failing it can be a little trial and error.

Well I pulled the cam sensor and the metal end was loose and was scuffed from bumping the cam so I replaced it and so far so good I do need some more extreme temperatures to verify but it has been in the 80's so I think I may have gotten it

I will post again after some heat or if the problem rears its head again but of it comes back I'm gonna give it an ipr

Back